Ludum Dare 29
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 19
About SethR (twitter: @rtsoft)
Just your typical insane technology loving programmer.
The "Ludum Dare Entry on iPhone" Award
Awarded by PoV
on March 17, 2010
The "Ludum Dare Entry in the IGF" Award
Awarded by PoV
on January 27, 2010
Ludum Dare Donor Award
Awarded by PoV
on May 24, 2008
Five Minute Merit
Awarded by philhassey
on May 1, 2008
The "The Cake is a Lie" Award
Awarded by keeyai
on April 23, 2008
First to escape from Minimalist Island!
Awarded by mjau
on April 21, 2008
My entry is here. Can you get on the global high score list?!
Here is how my day went:
- Hour 1: Thought REALLY hard about the theme… but..
- Hour 4: Still no ideas I like enough to do. I give up!
- Hour 4:01 WAIT, IDEA!
So here’s where I’m at:
My idea is to make a mini-game using a Growtopia theme. Not too technically tricky, so good for my “still learning Unity” brain, yet also fun and arcady enough to be interesting to work on.
If I submit it, it will be a Jam entry due to the stolen art and sound.
Ok, gonna hit the sack but here’s what’s happened thus far:
- Built a flexible CityMap class AI/utility toolkit that can “evolve” itself by adding socketed pieces, can rotate them if needed
- Yellow “turrets” shoot bullets if clicked, and they can damage and destroy city pieces. No anims or anything fancy though
- Realtime scaling support, so I can fit big maps on the screen if I want
- Flash target is working, but speed is questionable and huge maps really kill it, have a big update to proton coming though which will speed it up
- Title screen with my trusty old trick, have the game animating stuff in the BG for decoration
- It’s nothing but a screensaver at this point, but you can Click here to try it if ya want
3.5 hours in and still in the concept phase.
I can’t see the gameplay clearly yet, but I have a foggy sort of idea. It involves me writing some dynamic level generation/growing which sounds fun though.
Making this mockup in photoshop was good though, I mentally ran through the coding stuff I’ll use as I laid it out.
I’ve learned my lesson though, not even going to attempt “real art” this time around due to previous mishaps… ahem.
Finished my game.. sort of phoned it home though, just wasn’t that excited with what I had.
What went wrong:
- Bad art is bad. Should have chosen a more .. abstract look, more compatible with my (lack of) skillz
- Main mechanic didn’t work well with FP’s built in tile scrolling stuff, and I didn’t feel like writing my own, so instead of re-designing, I sort of just limped along with a simplified version of my idea and just kept the game very short
- I’m still not comfortable with AS3. Have a ways to go there.. but hopefully I won’t have to…
What went right
- My first flash game! Learned a lot this weekend. I like Flashpunk + TweenMax, scheduling functions to be called is something I’ve grown used to in Proton so nice to be able to do that easily here too.
- Made a game that has a story and is winnable. But somewhere along the line it turned into a weird psychological nightmare.
- Using Novashell as the tile editor worked fine, no fuss
I’ve decided to try Flashpunk/AS3 this weekend! By piecing together bits from ChevyRay examples I have a basic platformer system going.
I wanted the “Planet” (player) to be able to eat stuff and scale up sort of katamari style, but this is turning out to be very fiddly, and too easy to get the player stuck if he grows into a wall. Using Box2D or such would probably be a better idea.. hmm.
First, I’ve switched my LD handle from mrfun to SethR to match my IRC name and generally avoid confusion. Hopefully nothing explodes by doing that.
LD World Map improvements
I’ve improved my LD World Map plugin a bit, it’s now larger and has a filter to only show people that have posted in the last year. What’s that you say, you’re not on the map? Well go add yourself now!
Can now actually win and lose levels! Added a cheap-ass main menu with level select.
I’ll have a few hours tomorrow morning to somehow magically tweak gameplay to be more fun, do music, add more baddies. (Design calls for three, only have one, and I’m just using a tinted hero sprite at that!)
Want went right today:
- Whipped out really cool random level generation algo, it guarantees that each part of the building is accessible. Really, I guess I made sort of a side-view maze generator.
- Added zoom settings per level – The screenshot above is zoomed way out.. I might leave a level like that just for fun, even though it’s hard to play that way. An unexpected consequence of zooming out is it sort of minimizes the bad artwork.
- Main menu works, took a detour to make it all keyboard controllable so you don’t have to keep switching back to the mouse. It’s the little things. Plus, this is going to be a Proton SDK sample eventually so I want its code to be usefully copyable
What went wrong:
- Bad art is bad
- Original design wasn’t much fun, dumped half of it.. better, but it still not there
- Behind schedule.. feeling bad that I skipped weekend ultimate frisbee with Cosmo (my kid) for like the first time in a year.. you’re a cruel master, LD.
- Still have no real cosmetic theme or name to tie everything together. it’s just so generic and I HATE generic. Dream self, please figure this out during tonight’s repose
- Connection to the “Discovery” theme feels weak
Well, I’ve got elevators up the yang. I did some character “art” for walking and climbing ladders. Yeah, that’s a walk frame above, what the heck ??
Maybe I can somehow explain the weird visuals by adding a story element about the main character having to deal with a deformity and back problems. See, that’s how real gamedev works, kids.
The apartment building is randomly generated and I’m looking forward to trying some big ones with dead ends, enemies, and treasures.
Still have too much to do at this point to feel anything but iffy, but after adding some sfx it at least “feels” pretty good to run around the level. When the character walks there is this donkey-kong like sound effect.
Quitting for the night, will be back in irc bright and early to try to turn this into something. (I’m SethR in #ludumdare)