I think I will not write a post saying that I finished another 48 hour Ludum Dare compo. No. I won’t do that. I also won’t say that it is here if you want to play it because nobody reads these things anyway right? No reason to post screenshots since I’m not doing a post either.
Due to a scheduling conflict, I didn’t think I would be able to do LD31, but I realized I had about 6 hours free today so I cobbled up an entry. It plays better than the screenshot looks. Give it a try HERE.
This weekend only comes 3 times a year and I’m ready to go … or I will be … as soon as I get everything together. It has been a couple of months since I have done much in the way of game development, and I’m excited to return to it.
Usually when the theme is announced, which is 9PM in my timezone, I try to think up an idea, get some rest, and start work in the morning. This time, however, I had several other events that I need to attend, so I started around 10 PM Friday night on my idea. I’ve always wanted to do a gardening/grow game, and I felt it would fit the theme pretty well, so that became my task for the next 48 hours. My idea was that you would get this seed in the mail with a letter explaining that it is a unique one-of-a-kind seed which, when grown, could produce some unique fruit/berries that might have very interesting properties. I really wanted the plant to be in 3D, but after playing with Blender for the first hour or so, I gave up on it. Trying to get the plant to grow using a 3D model was something that I did not think I could tackle in 48 hours. With the 3D experiment a bust, I went to Paint .Net and began to create my 2D art assets.
While I’m not an artist, I felt ok with how the graphics turned out. It has sort of a lo-fi old C64 game feel to it. I ended up losing a bit of time fixing a few bugs I found in some 3rd party libraries including one that appeared about 5 minutes before the submission deadline. That was a bit stressful, but I got it sorted out.
The stories, 2 for each berry type, ended up being the most work. I first wrote down a list of berries you could grow along with a couple of sentences about what happened when you either sent it to the lab for examination, or ate it. Then I proceeded to add each of them to the game fleshing out each story which, in a few cases, got pretty long. In the end, I managed to get 15 berries into the game. That’s 30 separate stories. A few of them are pretty short, but that’s still not bad for the time given. Click HERE to play/rate “The Seed”, and check out the video below to see a time-lapse of the game being created.
I’m quite tired but pleased with what I have managed to create. I did a lot more story writing for this one. There are 30 endings to be found in this plant-growing fiasco. I’ll try to get a Linux build out tomorrow. Go try it HERE!
Here we are in another December and another Ludum Dare. It is one of the things I look forward to this time of year. I have a few things that will pull me away for a bit on both Saturday and Sunday, but I still hope to finish.
If you download a lot of Windows games, you might want to check out my SmartUnzip utility for intelligently unzipping entries during the review phase. Hmm … it might work on Linux and Mac with Mono, but I haven’t tried it yet…
Since Ludum Dare 25 (December 2012), I’ve been chipping away at making the 48hour version of Terra Forma into an actual game. I’ve improved the graphics and user interface, added 60+ levels, more block types, an online editor, and online community levels. The PC version of the game was released in early August followed by the Android version just before September. The iOS version has been submitted to the Apple store and is currently awaiting approval. Many thanks to the Unity engine for making multi-platform deployment much less painful, and to Ludum Dare for birthing new game ideas through the competition. Check out more info about Terra Forma along with a playable web demo here.