About pwnedu46 (twitter: @pwnedu462)
I’m really excited for this Ludum Dare. I took some gamedev classes this semester, so I’m ready to put what I’ve learned to the test.
IDE: Visual Studio 2013
Sounds: BFXR and possibly Audacity
2D Art: Paint).net
Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/pwnedu46 with OBS
Version Control: Git (github: https://github.com/pwnedu46)
Other stuff: Trello, OneNote
This will only be the second game I’ve made in Unity, so I’m prepared to switch to Python with the pygame library if necessary. If I do have to switch, I might be using a homemade library for tile-based games.
LD27 came just in time! The fall semester starts on the 26th. I’ll be taking some gamedev classes, so I’ll be using my entry to see how far I’ve gone since the start of the semester.
IDE: IntelliJ IDEA, Android Studio if I do an android port
Music: Bfxr, Audacity
Graphics: Paint.NET, GIMP?
Trello board: https://trello.com/b/f8GmGdvt/ludum-dare-27
Livestream link: http://www.twitch.tv/pwnedu46
After 24 hours, I’m almost done. All that’s left is to add a lose condition, a few more levels, and some polish. Looks like I’m going to make it! 😀
This will be my third LD, and hopefully my first successful one. As long as I can get through Google Code Jam (which just happens to start at about the same time as LD) quickly, I should be good.
Tools I’ll be using:
Platform: I’m up in the air between whether or not I should target Android or PC first. (suggestions?)
Sound: Bfxr and Audacity
Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/pwnedu46 (XSplit broadcaster)
Edit: OBS runs much better on my computer, and it’s FREEEEEEEEE, so it looks like I’ll be using that instead.
Well, I wasn’t able to complete my game, and don’t have much to show for my work either.
What went right:
- I quickly came up with several ideas and started.
- I learned a lot about the Android SDK
What went wrong:
- I ended up running into the same brick wall — even though I knew objects were moving around on the screen, they weren’t being drawn. I spent all of Saturday tracking down the bug and trying to find the problem. It took me a long time to find a hack to fix it, but it only worked for the first few frames.
- I scrapped several of my ideas and started over because of the drawing bug.
This will be my second Ludum Dare attempt, and hopefully the first I complete. I’ll be using:
- Language: Java
- I will be developing for Android (maybe a desktop port later)
- Images: Paint.net
- Audio: Bfxr
- Wacom drawing tablet
- Android tablet for testing
- Dropbox to host the source
- I may use this virtual joystick if necessary.
I’ll be live-streaming here.
I know it’s not much, but here’s a video of my progress so far. I got the player moving with WASD.