About pl0xz0rz

Entries

 
Ludum Dare 34
 
Ludum Dare 33
 
Ludum Dare 32
 
Ludum Dare 28
 
Ludum Dare 27
 
Ludum Dare 27 Warmup
 
Ludum Dare 26
 
Ludum Dare 25

pl0xz0rz's Trophies

pl0xz0rz's Archive

Giant Frog postmortem

Posted by
Tuesday, January 5th, 2016 11:33 am

This game was a total disaster. It wasn’t fun, had bad graphics, confusing controls, and a bug making the first level more difficult than intended(but still perfectly winnable) by making most of the flies disappear.

What went right:

  • Kongregate statistics API – it let me know that nobody except for me has beaten the first level.

What went wrong

  • Confusing controls / missing tutorial – the black walls were climbable by pressing  D / right arrow when climbing a wall to te right, and A / left arrow when climbing a wall to the left. Players often couldn’t figure that out.
  • Lack of balance – the first level was way too hard.
  • Collision detection bug – collisions were resolved in the wrong order, which wasn’t apparent with normal walls, but became apparent with the red blocks randomly making you fly to the right and white blocks sometimes randomly refusing to break.
  • Ran out of time before replacing the placeholder tileset.
  • No sounds
  • Arrow keys scrolling in Google Chrome for some reason

ld34bug

The offending part, because of the trampoline at the bottom, players couldn’t figure out how to pass this.

Screenshot from 2015-08-22 23:50:49

 

Spent the first half of the day thinking about the theme. I just couldn’t get a good idea.

I’m trying to make a tower defence game with a monster plant that was created by a failed immortality ritual performed by a necromancer. This guy is the necromancer, Pluto, brought back to life by the plant, to defend his heart.

I have failed to implement the core mechanic of making the plant grow various weapons.

Well, at least the collision detection seems to work like it’s supposed to. That should be something, at least.

I’m back.

Posted by
Saturday, April 18th, 2015 4:40 am

ld32conceptart1

It seems that I will actually make a game. This is the first concept art draft. Guess which of these will be the protagonist, and what is the unconventional weapon.

I’m in again.

Posted by
Friday, December 13th, 2013 5:53 pm

I have failed last time too, but I don’t give up. The next game will be made in HTML5 too. I have upgraded my basecode yet again, splatting a pretty serious bug one hour ago. It can also do more stuff.

My tools will be the same again:

HTML5/Javascript

vim

Gimp and Inkscape

Audacity, LMMS,  sfxr

https://github.com/pl0xz0rz/basecodeldjs – my basecode, it’s Upgraded.

I’m in. For the third time.

Posted by
Tuesday, August 20th, 2013 4:03 am

After failing for the first two times, and then making a warmup game better than any I’ve made before, I’ll try again, and make a game even better than this warmup one.

Tools I will probably use:

HTML5/Javascript

vim

Gimp and Inkscape

Audacity, LMMS, and maybe sfxr

https://github.com/pl0xz0rz/basecodeldjs – my basecode

 

I’m in

Posted by
Sunday, April 21st, 2013 8:57 am

I’m in again, for the second time. The game will probably be better, as I will actually have some time next weekend.

I will use HTML5/JS

Graphics – my programmer art is seriously bad, I will probably use Inkscape, Gimp and some crude HTML5 canvas animations scripted using a text editor

Audacity and LMMS – for audio, totally forgot how to do anything with them, haven’t used them in the last 3 months

 

Escape of the Blob Monster postmortem

Posted by
Friday, December 28th, 2012 4:06 pm

Although it wasn’t my first game, it was my first LD. My first game was in HTML5 too, for a jam in two weeks, it was a TD with physics and A* pathfinding, made from scratch. It was completely broken, buggy and with bad programmer art.

However, I’m writing the postmortem for anoher game, a platformer. I couldn’t make a timelapse, as it missed the first 4 hours (programming,music,some art), and the last 2 hours(uploading the game somewhere). The link is here.

Stuff that went well:

  • Knowledge of HTML5 and Javascript.
  • It was playable by the deadline

Stuff that went wrong (unavoidable)

  • Time. The first day was completely killed, and the second day, I was too tired to think straight. That probably caused the bugs.
  • For some reason, my laptop keyboard broke. It was just after uploading it for the first time. Then I somehow managed to fix the mute button bug at least on Mozilla Firefox, but gave up, as typing i dfficult with a broke keybord.

Stuff that went wrong (avoidable)

  • Writing collision detection from scratch. Do not try this at a 48h compo.
  • Lack of audio skilz.
  • Bad programer art (it was supposed to be placeholder, but as it was nearing deadline, I had to make cuts).
  • The controls bug. I tried to do something cool with them, but failed trying. However, fixing that bug would probably make the game evr more borng.
  • Wrong hardcoded values (too weak gravity, too strong stiction to ground, too much control in the air, too weak hardness of the protagonist

I’m in for 1st time

Posted by
Thursday, December 6th, 2012 10:10 am

This will be my first LD. I think there maybe won’t be enough time, as I’m busy next weekend, but I’ll try. The game will be in HTML5. I hope the game will be  without any game-breaking bugs, and playable.

I’m using:

Development – Notepad ++ and Mozilla Firefox;

Art – Gimp andd Inkscape;

Sound –Audacity;

Music – Audacity, LMMS.

[cache: storing page]