Links : Official entry / Post-Mortem version
Before LD begin
I wasn’t really enjoy by suggested themes, but I noticed the score of “10 seconds” (~+700). On final round I thought it might well be selected, and I imagined that I could do. The idea of the countdown and the launch pad have come to me very early, well before the start time. But few ideas about the form and the game-play at this point…
Hesitation and laziness
My first thoughts were that the player is the commander the launch pad, with several tasks. In addition to trigger the ignition, he should shake the controller, shoot ducks that obstruct the trajectory, choose between an astronaut a monkey or a dog to pilot spacecraft, remove the curious lurking around the reactors…
I thought that implement all these things would not make me easy. it seemed too complicated to the goal of the game were very simple. to choose from I chose to sleep and see it later.
I lacked the time and had not decided yet.
So I started with the indispensable draw the rocket on the launch pad, put the title screen etc.. The final gameplay came in the way. The basic intention was to be a temporary feature, to see what happens, but on this form arose as evidence. This is where I started to list the 26 control checks, one for each key.
I started drawing animations, smoke and explosion. The result was not up to the time spent on it. I gradually simplified the way I do for a result that suited me just as much. It was then that I had less than an hour to upload my component I started coding the clause game over.
Without noticing, I confused a “<” with “>”, which blew 50% of the difficulty of the game .. Too bad.
I undertook to finish the game for a post-mortem release. Mainly missing some animations, and ending sequences. I was able to correct my mistake “<“, and added the choice of difficulty.
This game-play is not as attractive that I made for Ludum Dare before, but I’m quite proud. I would not have thought I could do as much graphics and animations. Technically, code side, except this error “<” , I had less trouble than the last time.
Edit : Friday
I change my mind about implement sound feature. I made a new release of post-mortem version, with sound effects and music for winners !