About leondryaso


Ludum Dare 37
Ludum Dare 36
Ludum Dare 32
MiniLD #58
Ludum Dare 31
Ludum Dare 30

leondryaso's Trophies

THX for comment! #LD31
Awarded by rincewind_cz
on December 11, 2014

leondryaso's Archive


Posted by
Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 8:48 am

The first Atari’s Asteroids game was released in 1979. I have a feeling that it’s code was much cleaner and better than ours is. So what are my thoughts?

The last LD I and my friend participated in was the 32nd. That one was catastrophic in a sense. We weren’t able to think of a good interpretation of the theme and when we figured something out, it was already a day off the limit. Also we were trying to use our Java 2D framework/engine/whatever called GabeNgine and it really didn’t go as we would’ve liked. After that, until now, we haven’t really felt about doing anything. But this time I got an idea quite quickly and my friend had a kind of non-lazy period, which is a bit of miracle 😀

View post on imgur.com

My original idea was to make a platformer game with the Asteroids somehow connected to it, but later we’ve decided to go full on with some Asteroids interpretation. And it turned up to be a really good decision. It quickly became our favourite game amongst all our previous works. It’s not really that original, you control a ship and try to survive in waves of destructing asteroids all around you. Sometimes an annoying enemy shows up. Ideal for rage quits. But the greatest thing about it are the graphical effects. We’ve come up with a nice little shader that makes everything SO much cooler and it’s also causing the “ancient” look of it. Also the particles. My friend is a bit crazy about them, but this time it wasn’t a bad thing, because he ported his awesome particle engine, hence we can have awful tons of particles (with almost no performance impact).

At the nights, the code was turning into a monsterous blob as always, but we’ve done worse. But I was anxious while dealing with sound and packing. The 4 years old Paulscode Soundsystem won’t simply work with newest LWJGL and JOAL’s natives are a bit hard to pack. Anyway, I managed to do it somehow.

Well, in the end, we’re happy about the result. It always can be better, but I’m satisfied. We will appreciate if you try it and we are looking forward to your feedback. You can try it here.

Oh my shaders

Posted by
Saturday, August 27th, 2016 6:54 pm

At the moment, we don’t really see how much of “Ancient technology” flavour this is going to have, but the important things are these shaders. These good chaps are making everything 420% cooler.



Posted by
Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 12:52 pm

Let’s do it! I hope the theme will be suitable for a tower defence game… because we really want to make a tower defence game! Once again we’ll use Java, but this time, we have got a framework or something like that. It’s not finished at all, but I think it’ll work.


  • Java and GabeNgine as The Platform
  • IntelliJ Idea as The IDE
  • Photoshop as The Photo Editor
  • Google as Mister Omniscient
  • Mumble as The Communicator

I’m looking forward to see all the amazing games!

We don’t care about sleep anymore, now we make games!

Posted by
Friday, March 13th, 2015 4:09 am




I created this for Ludum Dare 31 but quite late and somebody in the comments said that I should remake it for LD32… so I have remaked it.

EDIT: I’ve uploaded version with the “L” more distant from the “U”, because as @Potato & Taco said, it looked like “W” a bit

Because there aren’t enough wallpapers

Posted by
Saturday, December 13th, 2014 4:39 am



That feeling when you almost have your wallpaper done and your notebook shuts down without telling you that your battery is almost dead

Problems and messy code

Posted by
Monday, August 25th, 2014 10:45 am

Well, as a lot of people finished and LD48 is over, we are still working on our game called Flipper. At the beginning, we didn’t know we will even participate, but here we are, with nearly completed game. It is our first platformer and first LD game, but it isn’t such bad. It all looked so easy, when I was creating basic game classes. But then, the first problem showed up – the FPS counter didn’t work on my PC. OK, half an our for fixing does not hurt too much. We are writing a game, so what should I do next? Write a menu! Menu is very important, you know. So basically, I was working on menu for like 3 hours. And we didn’t have anything visible but menu for next +- 7 hours. What a good time plan. All the time we were creating “low-level” stuff like texture manager (which obviously wanted to irritate us as much as it could) on one side, because we didn’t want to use any “framework”, so we are using only LWJGL and Slick-Util, but on the other side, we were preparing for the real gameplay, we had blocks and all that stuff. And the code was becoming more and more “blobbed”. We were stuck for few hours just because we had mess with positioning. The math is like “one here, one there, some offset to this…”. The rendering and updating is written in a very strange way, but why not, it works. And one of the biggest problems – collisions. Hate them. Why not to use Death screen as Win screen as well. But the problem that rules them all is resources. We are such terrible at drawing, so we had to look for resources on the Internet. And editing them wasn’t better. I just can’t use GIMP 😀 But despite it all, we (nearly) made it. It remains only to create levels and do some minor tweaking.

Actual gameplay footage

Next time, I will force him to use libGDX or something similar, because solving “simple problems” like rendering texture for two or more hours is just bad. And we need to get some artist for the textures. And maybe change programming language. And maybe change developers. If there will be any “next time”.

[cache: storing page]