Established 1977 - Purveyor of bad spelling and great video games.
About kevglass (twitter: @cokeandcode)
Ludum Dare 21
Well, I have run out of puff – and nearly painkillers. My teeth are killing me but I have completed a game in 48 hours – didn’t think that’d happen! I’m pretty pleased with the result – can’t imagine it’ll win any prizes but it’s a nice little concept I think I could expand later.
So, what have I learnt?
- Your first idea, isn’t always your best. I went with my first idea this time but I had 4 or 5 along the way that would have been better (at least I think so). Stuck to my guns to get something done
- Creating sounds is easy – creating good sounds is hard and takes up a long time. I’ll definitely factor that in next time I do Ludum Dare (yes, I want to do it again!)
- Creating music is hard (even bad music). It’s difficult to find good tools. It’s difficult to have any idea where to start. Sourcing freeware music is much much easier. Still, there are procedural generators out there – even if the output is a bit naff.
- Having a schedule for 48 hours is pointless, just go.
- Coding fast is fun! (I think already knew this)
- What you think of your game isn’t always what other people thing of it.
I didn’t realise I needed to create my own music, instead I’d sourced some freeware stuff. So, I’ve now discovered I’m really bad at music – hopefully this will be good enough.
Also starting to get really tired now, screen is starting to fade – but it’s my eyes, my eyes I tell you! Garble Garble!
One more level to design, some graphical finished and I’m ready to submit…
Here’s the complete Timelapse for Day from my game. I think it’s about 8 hours of actual work, hoping day 2 goes well to finish off the game:
Welcome back, awesome work guys – got the site back! Guess is just shows how popular things are this year. I’ve been hard at work, up to 6 levels and resolved some of the bugs now:
Teeth Update: I’m in severe pain and my face is about twice the size it should be. Can’t eat anything but mush! The drugs don’t seem to be helping with the game design either!
In other more game related news, I’ve put up a build to play (there’s a download and an applet)
Can anyone tell me how to embed the YouTube player in here, for now… here’s a link:
So, here’s how you start, how to get to that box?
Well certainly not past that guard!!
Progress? Yes, some! Got back on the horse after that horrible little wobble in confidence. Now got some cheezy music going on, sound effects, 3 levels and a mechanic! Wow. Look at me go!
In other news, I was really really happy with how that guard sprite came out
Had a bit of wobble there, thought I was going to give up altogether. Took a break, ate some food – back in the saddle again!