About jellymann (twitter: @mediamandan)

Honours Student at the University of Pretoria. Intern at Platform45. Game developer by night.

Entries

 
Ludum Dare 29

jellymann's Trophies

jellymann's Archive

The Post-Mortem of No Hawking

Posted by (twitter: @mediamandan)
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 3:13 pm

By Daniel Smith and Paul Potgieter, with music by Tim Harbour

No Hawking

During LD29 we produced No Hawking, a game we’re both proud of. But it didn’t go exactly to plan, and we fell far short of our initial design. We now examine the process so that we can get closer to our mark in LD30.

The making of No Hawking went like this:

 

WRONG

Planning:

  • We forgot to name our group.
  • We aimed too high, and as a result did get core gameplay in place until the last day.
  • First release build was attempted after deadline (it failed… continuously)
  • Dan forgot to pack a toothbrush.
  • We burnt out each day instead of sleeping at regular intervals. This disrupted the flow of development.

 

Technical:

  • We used an interpreted language with horrible garbage collection and no native threading support.
  • Custom Engines take a lot of time, which we didn’t have.
  • We used a graphics framework that wasn’t actually finished :’|
  • We used a release tool that didn’t “just work” and consequently spent the last frantic minutes just getting a distributable build done.

 

RIGHT

  • We had an incredible brain storming session right after the theme was announced and came up with a design really quickly.
  • We built a “working” custom engine during LD!
  • Despite everything that went wrong, we managed to make a playable game with objectives, obstacles, and win/end states.
  • We got enough sleep. (Although it was all over the place)
  • We had pizza and fizzers… a lot of fizzers!
  • We didn’t give up.
  • We had fun!

 

NEXT TIME

  • Use finished engine/framework etc…
  • Release early, release often
  • Sleep properly.
  • Have more fun!

 

CONCLUSION

  • Ludum dare is a time for experimenting with game design but not a time to create a whole engine from scratch
  • Ludum Dare is fun!

 

There will definitely be a more complete Post-LD version.

 

2001 a game odyssey…

Posted by (twitter: @mediamandan)
Sunday, April 27th, 2014 4:56 pm

We have made progress! The game is now “fully playable”. By that I mean the winning and losing conditions are defined and can be reached.

Here are some new screeneies.

hawking1 hawking2

The curse of building a game engine from scratch

Posted by (twitter: @mediamandan)
Saturday, April 26th, 2014 9:18 am

Call me crazy, but I do prefer building my own frameworks from the ground up.

Now this is all fine and well… unless you only start coding the framework three hours before Theme Announcement.

But perseverance prevails and we can show you the first screenshot of development. It’s just Asteroid-style movement at the moment but more exciting features can finally start being added :)

screen1

Warmup Weekend Result – Furry Dangerzone

Posted by (twitter: @mediamandan)
Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014 2:48 am

This last weekend I created a github project, picked the autogenerated name, and proceeded to create Furry Dangerzone.

Three and a half hours after getting familiar with Gosu I had a playable game. 24 hours later I had a polished game. ~48 hours later I had an optimsed, somewhat bug-free game. Since then I’ve been improving it here and there.

It’s flappy-bird-esque: space to jump, don’t touch the stars or the edges.

Tools used:

  • Sublime Text 3
  • Gimp
  • SFXR
  • Gosu game engine
  • Ruby language
  • MacBook Pro

Looking forward to participating in the Jam this weekend. This will be my first Ludum Dare. 😀

Get Furry Dangerzone: Download | Github Page

  Furry Dangerzone

Furry Dangerzone

Furry Dangerzone

[cache: storing page]