I’ve decided to accept the October challenge by finishing my LD20 entry – the Clone Wolf. It’s a platformer where you simultaneously control multiple instances of a hero while fighting monsters.
In addition to the LD version, there’s a new display style (single-screen defense instead of side-scrolling), more content (complex bosses), tutorials, dialogues, a storyline and music (by a renowned Czech geek, who was awesome enough to let me use it just for a credit).
The game is made in flash (yay Flixel!), I’ll try to hit as many platforms and markets as I can.
Left on my TODO list: draw 5 level backgrounds, draw intro illustrations, fix a few bugs, create a trailer, make a few screenshots.
I’m quite cautious about showing my games to other people, therefore I got to playtesting a little too late (just last weekend). After a short playtest it was evident, that without a tutorial, the game was confusing and unplayable. I sat down, rewrote the script, added more tutorial levels, redesigned a GUI.
Conlusion: even a short playtest session can reveal serious design flaws. Playtest, silly me! Playtest more!