My game is called “When Worlds Collide”, and you can play it here. I had a lot of fun during the competition, and I learned a lot too!
What went right:
I had an idea before I started. Usually I try to think of ideas for each of the themes in the final round so that I am prepared. This time, I simply had two ideas that I liked, and fortunately could think of ways to fit them into the themes. So this is something that could have went wrong, but didn’t.
I succeeded in making my game’s code modular and clean early on. Sure, by the end of the weekend it was a mess, but because it began well-structured and easy to modify, I was able to make changes to the game and fix parts that weren’t fun or didn’t work well enough without using up a lot of time.
The game is juicy. Very juicy. The biggest issue my games have (whether they were made for a jam or not) is a lack of visual polish and feedback. I specifically wanted to improve in that area with this game, and I think I succeeded. Images just don’t do it justice.
The game is fun. That’s what is most important, in my opinion.
What went wrong:
I should have spent more time working. Honestly, I didn’t take a lot of breaks, but I submitted early and didn’t work until the deadline. I was tired. There are a few things I can think of that should have been better, but aren’t.
There are bugs. Well, all code has bugs, so of course this game has bugs. What I mean is that there are known bugs. The are known bugs that have taken so much of my time, and still aren’t completely fixed. In the past I’ve almost always succeeded in fixing every known bug before submission, so this is a huge disappointment to me.
In the end, I’m extremely happy with how the game turned out. Many things went right, only a few things went wrong, and the game is fun. I’m considering adding multiplayer cooperative and versus modes, but for now, you could always play cooperatively on the same keyboard. 😉