Wow! That was an interesting 48 hours. I had to change game ideas once, because my first one sucked… but the other was was good. And, I finished (just barely) in time! I’ve learned so much about games, mostly the Slick2D API.
Anyways, I felt I would share my thoughts on a few topics surrounding the Ludum Dare.
- Editing your game after submitting is ok, as long as you don’t change the gameplay. I think that doing things that help play-ability is ok. Things like changing a few lines so your code works on someone else’s computer is fine by me, as long as it doesn’t change gameplay. Performance improvements aren’t as ok, but if your game is running at a low enough fps, that its noticeable, its fine also.
- Evolution is a tricky theme. From what little I’ve seen, there aren’t that many original interpretations of the theme. If I see one, I’ll rate it 5 stars, otherwise, I’ll rate it based off of how important and evolution based gameplay mechanics are.
- Most lines of code should be an official award.
- Devs should test their browser-only games on all browsers.
- I like getting comments, so I give them!
Please feel free to shear your thoughts on my ideas, or add your own.