Ludum Dare 29
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 20
About Farfin (twitter: @FarfinFarfin)
Not much gameplay in it yet, but it’s cute toy so far. I haven’t even thought about audio yet.
It’s been a solid couple of days now so it’s time to give my game (The Animals are Deadly) a sober second thought.
- I did things I for the most part knew how to do. Not as much guess and hope it works coding this Ludum Dare.
- This lead to some serious art time which hopefully shows.
- For the amount of time I put into sounds and music it turned out pretty rad. I’m usually pretty bad at that.
- I slept and ate like a normal person all weekend. Felt wonderful.
- Kicking birds away is fun.
- The HUD looked sick, but I’m pretty biased towards big stupid HUDs.
- It’s pretty hard to tell what the Van does. (It scares the birds away; can be used to stay safe for awhile or keep birds from following behind you)
- The map is WAY to big with WAY too many things I must have been subconsciously overcompensating for something.
All in all it was a good run this Ludum Dare and I’m pretty happy with the results.
I’m pretty tired but I won’t go before taking the opportunity to show stuff off.
Nobody mentioned it so I thought I would declare it for anyone who missed out (and everyone else) but in my entry drive backwards over your wife for some bonus gasoline. Inhumane? Maybe but the gas is important if you want an edge against the police.
also check out the super cool alternate version I did where you can drive over the police while a man raps about spelling Mississippi. What more could anyone possibly want in anything really.
They are Punishing
After my brainstorming session I had four things written in my notebook:
Avoid Monsters, look for other people, share an item and sheriffs badge
I then wrote the word share-iff.
At that point I was done writing. It was perfect. Though seeing as it was maiden voyage into LD I decided to overscope what I was able to do in 48 hours anyway.
Too many Deputies
The amount of characters for this game went into the double digits and for most of the people you come across and deputize they have a custom death sprite. I didn’t need that many options and most players don’t find them all let alone kill them all and admire their graves but I did it. I’m glad I did it, walking back to find a grave that you recognize was pretty cool, but It didn’t need to be 10 guys.
For the map I had decided about 2 days in that I would use the Deadly Alien Map Editor to make it but after a few hours of that not panning out and only half working I did the rest of it myself. The level itself was the most time consuming area which didn’t have to be and still ended up with a truckload of collision and placement issues.
The Final Push
I left a bit too much to the final hours of the competition: Win Condition, Tutorial, Lose condition, sound, music, other things.
Some of those things kinda made it in. The win condition is there, mileage may vary on the aesthetics of the splash screen, and a tutorial was implemented, complete with typo on one of the key presses in the game but I could have thought about them earlier.
This all sounds pretty negative but I had fun slept regularly and got to draw a lot of characters. I learned about my limitations and that’s what I wanted from LD anyway.