I have a very simple tile system in place. I thought I would have simple gameplay by this point, but I’ve run into a problem where my recursive flood fill is blowing the as3 stack. I’m too tired to figure out what I’m doing wrong, so I think I’m going to call it a night and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Ludum Dare supports profiles?
The Giant Pixel Endowment
Awarded by demonpants
on December 9, 2008
My Significant Other was disappointed to discover that the fancy salad she made me for lunch on the Sunday of the competition didn’t make it into my food journal because even though I took the photo, I was too busy implementing last minute game play to write the post.
So, here it is. Pears soaked in craberry juice, roasted almonds and brie cheese with mixed greens. Very tasty.
In the end I did get my pathfinding working to the point that I was happy with it. However I spent so much time on debugging that I had to simplify my game play significantly. Painfully, the game play that is included barely requires any pathfinding at all. Another downside to so much time wasted bug hunting is that I didn’t take the time to improve the graphics.
On the plus side, I got a few levels made, and I think you can call this a fairly complete game.
Follow the link to play online:
Click here to download the source and .SWF:
I’ve spent a lot of time today fighting with buggy path finding. The code is supposed to find the shortest path from any road tile to the city. It’s mostly working, but it occasionally produces incorrect results when there are loops in the graph. Frustrating. I haven’t implemented any game play yet because I’ve been trying to get this right. In the future I think I will need to take a more planned approach to this sort of thing, and work out my algorithm in advance instead of just hacking together the first idea that comes to mind. Either that or modify my game play idea so it doesn’t require any path finding more advanced than a flood fill.
Dinner this evening involved hors d’oeuvres at a Christmas party. There always seems to be something else going on during LD48 weekends.
Taking a picture of my food in the middle of a crowded room in a formal setting was a bit weird.
Be amazed by the glory of placeholder art!
Of course I’ve had placeholder art become final art too many times in the past. Lets hope not this time.
In the min-LD3 theme description, one of the suggestions was to write an article. I decided to spend my 48 hours figuring out how to use free tools to build flash applications. I didn’t actually get the article written over the weekend. But now, two weeks later, I finally finished it. Here is the link if you are interested:
Windows binary: http://disruption.ca/dl/dots/erik-ld48_11-dots-Win32.zip
Python source: http://disruption.ca/dl/dots/dotsSrc.zip