This post is my Ludum Dare 36 post-mortem and will be mostly about the development process I went through when making Crossbow Assassin. I’m going to be honest here, I had no clue what I was doing for this Ludum Dare. I totally screwed up my submission. I had submitted 6 hours ahead of schedule but absent-mindedly went back to edit the description after the submission deadline. This changed my submission from a “Compo” entry to a “Jam” entry. Thankfully, one of the Ludum Dare admins, sorceress (thanks!), changed it back to a “Compo” entry for me. I’m not even sure if I’m doing this post-mortem right.
Anyway, it was my first time taking part in Ludum Dare and my goals were reasonably modest. I wanted to prototype something simple and fun and most importantly, to finish a game. There would be no fancy art or audio, just finish making a game with interesting mechanics. I was psyched and raring to go. Since the jam was taking place in a different timezone (UTC-07:00), I had to plan ahead and rest up. I would be waking at 9am on Saturday, 26 August 2016 and my submission deadline would be 9am on Monday, 29 August 2016. I took leave for Monday so that I could have a day of rest before going back to work on Tuesday.