Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

About DiThi

http://universodegoma.net

Entries

DiThi's Trophies

DiThi's Archive

A bit late but I’m in!

Posted by
Friday, August 24th, 2012 7:08 pm

As the last time, I’m using Blender, Inkscape, Kate, Python and of course my engine PyGamekit! (basically Gamekit with Python).

Timelapse of day 1

Posted by
Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 12:20 am

It took me a whole day (actually about 8 hours, squeezed into 3 minutes of video) to make something that otherwise would take me an hour. Moving in a sphere is new for me. I had to add a couple of methods in my library to make it work. Enjoy!

Also, as you can see, I test most changes just by pressing ctrl+S! That speeds up development quite a bit!

P.S: I went to bed thinking this was published last night, but it wasn’t…

Prepared for LD!

Posted by
Friday, April 20th, 2012 3:01 pm

This is my second Ludum Dare, and the first time I go solo. In the previous edition I did Zombie in Love but we couldn’t finish it as we planned, mostly because the engine was not ready for prime-time. This time it’s in much better shape, and since last weekend I’ve been rewriting Zombie in Love with the new API and now works as we designeed it.

So, here’s my stuff:

  • Language:Python! I love Python. I mix it with C/C++ with cython.
  • Engine: Gamekit with my own python bindings.
  • Tools: Blender, of course: I use it for everything, even for painting! Also Inkscape and maybe GIMP or myPaint, and a little script I did for converting materials.
  • Text editor:Kate
  • OS: Ubuntu 12.04 with KDE 4.8

I’ll publish the game for Windows, Linux 32/64 bit, Android and probably Mac OS X after the compo.

Zombie in love post-mortem (and Android version)

Posted by
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 3:42 pm

So finally, after a week of trying to use multitouch (I thought it would be much easier!), I have the Andriod version for you to try. The only differences with the PC version are touch controls (during the compo we used this instead), a logo, some more boxes laying around and subtle changes you won’t notice.

Some art done during the jam that didn't make it.

What went right?

  • Blender, Python and Inkscape, our favourite tools, are awesome. Once you know how to use them, you do work much faster than with other equivalent tools. Frequently we used Blender’s Python console or did scripts of around 5 lines which did a lot of repetitive tasks for us.
  • Gamekit is an awesome game engine which allowed us to use .blend files as-is without any conversion. It’s like Blender Game Engine but with a free non-viral license and it uses Lua  instead of Python (and no “logic bricks” needed, it was a pain to debug this BGE demo). We use the C++ API directly with some Python bindings I’ve been doing in the past months, which allowed me to hack any part of the engine if needed. Since the source is available I could compete in the compo (if I was going solo). I’ve published all the code although it’s not needed for the jam.
  • We started a project which we’ll further develop into a full, fun and challenging game for iOS, Android and PC. We have other projects but this one will have a shorter development time.
What went wrong?
  • Collision detection! Bullet is an awesome physics engine but it’s not as well integrated with Gamekit as with the Blender Game Engine. We expected too much of the BGE features to be available for gamekit. I’ll have to fix most of the issues by myself, now that I’m more familiarized with the code (and we need it in order to finish our games). I’ve spent too much time trying to work around the limitations, without success. It needs a proper fix (and I’m on it).
  • Creative block. Julio didn’t know how to make levels for a whole day (also he went to a rehearsal of his band, he’s the keyboardist)
  • Level design and quirky physic. Unlike other attempts at plataforming I’ve made, this time the mechanics relied too much on physics, and I spent so much time fine-tuning it that we didn’t test a proper gameplay with AI. Even worse, the test level looked like this until the last hours:

    The art were being done separately, and that included the level design, where the floor is not as flat as in the tests. Therefore the speed while walking is too variable.

 Get APK here or Windows/Linux version here.

Random shot from a shightly different perspective

Alone Street

Posted by
Monday, December 19th, 2011 11:36 am

 

 

 

 

Click to enlarge

 

 

 

 

Progress –> A house

Posted by
Monday, December 19th, 2011 6:37 am

Progress —> Alone with my rose

Posted by
Monday, December 19th, 2011 2:16 am

forever and ever

Resolution 800×480 (from Android version)

Animating a 2D character

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 10:06 pm

Progress —> Dr. Eibmoz Hallown

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 4:49 pm

Microbiologist

Progress with video!

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 5:26 am

>>> Video progress 1 <<<

After we decided what to do, I did the thing in the right while my friend was on the bed (designing and dreaming at the same time), then we switched places and he did the thing on the left and the androids.

Our Python lib

Posted by
Friday, December 16th, 2011 7:21 pm

As all existing code before compo must be available for everyone, I’ll put here my public repo:

https://bitbucket.org/DiThi/pygamekit

It’s still incomplete and undocumented, but I hope it evolves into a great API.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[cache: storing page]