RPG for Ants was among the first couples games I played, if not the very first game. Ever since my first play through, I fell in love with it. I’m a sucker for procedural generation and hyper leveling, so this game really hit the spot for me. It seems simplistic at first, but it’s that simplistic edge that makes this game a must play!
I’ll be the first to admit I had absolutely no idea what was going on while playing this game. That’s what made it fun, though! The entire thing felt like a learning experience, and was quite an amazing nod to Papers, Please. This game finds you as an inspector attempting to prevent the spread of a virus. One small screw-up, and you kill everyone.
By far the most immersive game (that I’ve seen) to come out of a ludum dare. I’m virtually speechless when it comes to just how amazing this game is. You find yourself as a figurehead of a family who is expecting you to provide for them during a bombing. You have to risk going out in the bombs to collect care packages and food, or stay inside and let everyone starve. Wow.
Not really much to say about this one, this is one you have to play yourself to experience. One thing I can say about it, though, I absolutely loved the graphics! It just all fits together amazingly well!
This is one of the latest games I played, and it really stuck with me. It’s main selling point in my opinion is the simplistic yet elegant graphics mixed in with the simplistic yet elegant game play. I haven’t actually got a chance to play the mobile version yet, but based on how the game played for PC, it’d be even better on mobile!
AND NOW, TIME FOR MY SHAMELESS PLUG
Now that we’ve got that list over with, here is the point where I show off a picture of my game, drop a link to it, and ask you to play and rate. So yeah.
We faced several problems right off the bat. My original intentions was to program it in Game Maker: Studio completely by myself and submit for the compo rather than the jam.
A friend of mine offered to team up with me about 5 hours before the jam. I wouldn’t be able to help with the programming due to the language he was using, but I agreed anyways. It was decided I’d work on audio on concepts.
Fast forward towards the beginning of the competition, and I was running off of 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I’d tried previously, but couldn’t get to sleep, so I just opted to stay awake until we at least had a concept done. ‘We’ included me, the friend from earlier, and one of his friends(an artist).
Then we get to the theme being announced. We all dabbled with some ideas for about 10 to 20 minutes before the programmer decided to opt out and leave me and the artist to our devices. I prepared to program while we continued to concept.
Our initial plan was a top down twitch reflex maze. The walls would be moving at you at an accelerated rate and you’d have to us WASD to navigate without hitting a wall or falling behind. We in a way kept this concept, but just changed it around to being an endless runner.
He began on the art, I began importing it. About an hour in, he went to sleep, and I followed shortly after. Luckily realizing I had forgotten to start the time lapse. I started it, and ended up getting some sleep.
A couple hours later, I woke up, and started on the main game. I faced quite a bit of problems. The floor was initially tiled, and I was hoping I could make it sync to the obstacles. I eventually gave up and just made the floor one seamless line and added in some obstacles. After that, I had my initial concept of how I was gonna do anything, and added in some more obstacles. A short bit later, Brad(the artist) woke up and I sent him a build. We ended up getting a bit addicted to it, and didn’t get much work done for about an hour.
From then on out, it was pretty much just him doing art, me hacking away at the programming, occasionally sending builds to him and some friends, occasionally us finding ourselfs in a skype call, and a lot of the time us joking around about things.
We ended up finishing about the time the regular compo was ending, and submitted for the jam(albeit with some undiscovered bugs) and the rest is history.
Fast forward to a week later, I just released a bug fixed version of it, and Brad and I have decided to carry on development from scratch on an entirely new version of Duck, Jump, Die for mobile!
We ended up with a final product! That broke a 6 competition long quitting streak for me, with my last completed Ludum Dare being LD25.
We ended up making a pretty fun game! Even after the horrors of the battlefield, I still find myself playing it when I get bored(on occasion).
We ended up meeting each other! We actually work out pretty well as a partnership, and if it hadn’t of been for this Ludum Dare, we never would’ve met.
We didn’t use the remaining time we had on polish and bug fixing, when it really could have used it.
The game is highly unoptimized, and tends to slow down for some people.
The music is incredibly loud, and ends up hurting peoples ears first time around.