About anarbitrarymustache


Ludum Dare 34
Ludum Dare 33

anarbitrarymustache's Trophies

anarbitrarymustache's Archive

The Cube of Zanigriv (LD 34) Postmortem

Monday, January 4th, 2016 3:48 pm

I told myself I’d be more involved after submitting this time, but I let the Holidays get the better of me. I guess I still have a little bit of time to get a postmortem in. As always, I’m blown away at the creativity and ingenuity of everyone’s submissions. There are always more to play then I ever find time to get around to.

So this was my second Ludum Dare and I am, for the most part, pleased with how I’ve progressed since last time. We will start with the…


  • Was happy to experiment with music this time. I didn’t get to practice as much as I had hoped between Ludums, but I made a push before the compo started to learn the basics of MilyTracker and was able to produce a loop that I hope wasn’t too annoying.
  • Made a time table this time and did pretty well sticking to it. Taking time up front to plan out and schedule makes a huge difference.
  • Liked the look of my art (much more than last time). I think I made some simple choices that allowed me to get a look that I liked in a short amount of time.
  • Actually finished in time to enter the Compo!

CON – I’m only going with one, because I was happy with everything else:

  • My game mechanic/loop.

I tried to stay away from “snake/nibble” games as I figured they would be in abundance. When I started on Friday, I created a prototype for a procedural side-scrolling runner that involved using one button to grow the player and another to grow the world (shrinking the player). The problem was the procedural world was either too difficult or didn’t work well in the puzzle aspect I wanted. Once I realized I was designing levels, I didn’t want to fall into the same trap as last time. So I went to bed, that idea scrapped and no new idea.

When I awoke I had an idea for a much simpler mechanic of a guy that that could either a) turn a crank to charge a battery/light or b) shine the light. The light would in turn keep the monsters surrounding our player at bay. The goal was to see if you could manage the two tasks and see how long you could survive as the resolve of the monsters would increase. I proceeded to code the prototype for this idea.

While designing visuals for the prototype, I somehow let the idea become warped and started messing around with the mechanic. I never really took the time to evaluate the whole picture/project as I kept making tweaks and changes. This was my ultimate mistake. In the end, the final game mechanic feels very muddied and confusing.

I look forward to April and entering my third LudumDare, where I hope to expand on what I’ve learned through these past two weekends. Thanks to everyone that has already tried and commented and Happy New Year.

If you haven’t had a chance, you can try out ‘The Cube of Zanigriv’ here.


I finished this time!

Sunday, December 13th, 2015 7:28 pm

It can still use a lot of polish, but I made a plan to keep my scope small, stick to a rough schedule and here I am. This is a great feeling. Can’t wait to see what everyone else has been up to.




In For the Second Time

Thursday, December 10th, 2015 8:42 am

I had a whole plan of how I would be better prepared for my next LD. Yeah, that didn’t happen. Still can’t wait. I guess we will see if I learned from all of my rookie mistakes last time. Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Will probably go with GameMaker again.

My “I’m in” post!

Saturday, August 8th, 2015 2:11 pm

This will be my first Ludum Dare, first game jam/compo, and if I finish <fingers crossed>, my first game! (Not counting that Flappy Bird clone I made once and the countless hours of started projects that never came to fruition). I’m excited! I’ve sat and watched from the stands for many years; enjoying so many of the entries. This year, I take the plunge with the ultimate goal of completing something. Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with. Let’s have fun!

[cache: storing page]