About _AM_

Entries

 
Ludum Dare 24

_AM_'s Trophies

_AM_'s Archive

Tiktaalik Tale

Posted by
Monday, August 27th, 2012 11:53 am

 

I don’t mind my name being attached to this disaster. I learned a lot by just going at it full force. My project was overly ambitious in that I created a platformer… I’ve never done such a thing before. I had a very loose grasp of boundary and hit boxes or even instantiating obstacles, but I was working my way through or towards that knowledge.

If you take a look at the code (source is provided) you will notice a lot of art assets not used. I made that all the first day and laid down some simple code to display stuff. The second day I got to coding, but realized with about 10 hours left that there simply wasn’t enough time to finish the game I had within the scope. So instead of creating a tiling engine, I decided to create a mockup level with some sloppy boundary coding. I then attempted to try and get my coelacanth fish to instantiate offscreen and start charging the player. Unfortunately, this did not happen in time and I was left with a very unfinished project. With 2 hours left in the end, I threw in a humorous message admitting my incompetence.

Had a lot of fun. I think this game could be something, if for anyone, at least myself. I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep working on this one until the next competition so I’m more experienced in general.

[cache: storing page]