15 Years of Ludum Dare

Posted by
March 13th, 2017 8:30 am

Well.

I’ve gotten into C# coding recently, and I’ll be honest: I know nothing. I just thought I’d make these little, I dunno, posts of such, like a diary, so I can look back and say “Well I am was an idiot back then”. Just making a post, excited about Ludum Dare 38. I’m not sure if I should stream it or such, but whatever. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. This is my first Ludum Dare, and it’s going to be my worst. I doubt much will happen. At best I’ll get a couple comments saying I’m an attention whore for posting this.

: |

6 Responses to “15 Years of Ludum Dare”

1. Lothrinn says:

It’s gonna be my first Ludum Dare as well ! Good luck 😀

2. Almax27 says:

Welcome to Ludum Dare!

If you’re not up to streaming I’d recommend taking screenshots during development and doing a postmortem a few days after the jam ends 😀 It’s great to share your development process and get feedback, plus the act of writing it works as a critical analysis to help you improve next time!

Good luck :)

3. DatCodingGuy says:

As Almax27 said, I recommend documenting your experience and making a postmortem about it. I’ve been doing game dev for about 3-4 years now so it would be interesting to see a video or read something about how a complete beginner tackles the challenge.

Just a couple tips:
    – Use an engine you’re comfortable with. You’ve still got well over a month to prepare for the jam, I’d recommend playing around with a few popular engines and finding the one that suits you best. The ones I’d recommend are Unity, GameMaker Studio, Coco2D, Haxe and Flash (I’ve ranked them in my opinion of ‘strength’). If you want a brief run-down of these engines (or more) I’d be happy to help out.

– Get shit done. Please excuse my language, but I think it emphasizes my point well. Don’t sit there trying to figure out the most efficient way of implementing a certain thing, just write a bunch of messy code and get it in there. If there’s bugs or issues with it later on then fix them when you get to it, the important part is that it’s in there.

– If you suck at art (like I do) go to OpenGameArt.org. Considering this is your first jam I’m assuming you’d want to do the 72 hours jam, if you do then OpenGameArt.org is a great place to get free assets.

– Bosca Ceoil and BFXR are great places to get free sound effects and music even if you want to do the solo jam.

– Stay healthy. I know when you do your first jam you just want to be awake 24/7, eat lots of pizza and drink heaps of energy drinks, but in reality this will hinder your ability to create a game. Make sure you get plenty of rest, drink lots of water and eat well. If you maintain your health then you’ll be able to think more clearly. Take it from me, I didn’t sleep or eat healthily during my first jam and I felt like complete trash afterwards.

– Don’t stress too much. This is your first jam and you stated that you’ve never done game dev before, this might be a bit harsh but don’t feel bad if your game is bad or you don’t even finish it. This is your first jam, your game is meant to be crap, the most important thing is to look back on what you did and learn from it and be a bit better next time. After the jam look back and think “what did I do well? What didn’t I do well? How can I improve on that?” and then work on those bits. Then when the next jam comes around you’ll have a better understanding of what you need to focus more on and your game will be better.

And don’t forget to have fun!!!! Maybe get on an IRC chat while doing your game dev and talk about games and share your ideas with people, the best bit about Ludum Dare is the community, make sure you’re part of it :)

• simple32 says:

Thanks for a good read 😀 This will be my first ludum dare also.
      And I will agree with you that you should “get plenty of rest, drink lots of water and eat well.” after I’am done with the jam. But I will still “eat lots of pizza and drink heaps of energy drinks” during 😛

4. ajayajayaj says:

Timelapses are really fun to look back upon.

5. Pokelockian says:

Thanks peeps.

All the advice is really nice, and may the best one win!