Require to provide info on tools used

Posted by
March 10th, 2017 11:21 am

I want to study and analyze the source codes of 2D games hoping to get some learnings (coding techniques, patterns, algorithms, etc.) out of it. I wanted to take a look at games that do not use engines, but use frameworks or just plain code from scratch. But when I browsed entries I mostly saw games made in Unity, GameMaker, etc., it’s hard to find games that don’t use engines and is in 2D. If I could search for games by “their framework used”, that would be very useful. Right now, what I do is click on link to the game’s page then download the source and see if it is not made in a game engine. EDIT: I’m specifically looking for games coded in Java.

9 Responses to “Require to provide info on tools used”

1. Nambew says:

You can look at games mades by Deepnight, he use is own engine in engine.

2. Nambew says:

The code is not in java, my bad. Syntaxe is close enaught for some pattern and information.

3. HellowPixl says:

I made a game in java although the structure is quite bad!
    But you can look at it
    Name: LocusLudi

4. Listrix says:

The reason why most of the games made during Ludum Dare use an engine is because of the time constraint that Ludum Dare has. When making a game for Ludum Dare you don’t want to sit there programming your own physics engine, loading images manually and having to constantly test your code to make sure that absolutely everything is working. When doing Ludum Dare you want an engine that will allow you to prototype games (Ludum Dare games are basically just prototypes) as quickly as possible with the least amount of effort and thinking, that’s why engines like Unity, Game Maker Studio, Defold, ect. are used.

These engines provide basic physics engines, make creating objects and importing resources easy and you can focus on the game logic instead of what’s happening behind the scenes. The other factor that contributes to the amount of engines used is who’s making the games.

Most of the people who develop games for Ludum Dare are indie game developers, professional or not. Well, most of the people who produce those top quality games you see are people who develop games either as a hobby or profession and have been doing it for a while. Engines are popular for indie game developers for the reasons I described above; they provide a foundation and allow you to work on the game logic and not what’s going on in the background.

Indie games are normally simplistic games that don’t really need a lot of playing around with individual things like how the physics works or how the images are rendered on the screen. Because of their simplistic nature using an engine is perfect.

Even though you’re looking for Java specific games that aren’t built with engines I still recommend looking at source code for other games. Chances are even if you look at solely Java games you can’t just copy and paste code that you think is cool because you probably design your games to the person who wrote that code. Instead of looking at specific code I’d recommend looking at ideas, seeing how people did this sort of lighting or how that feature works in a game. That way you can get an idea of how others tackle specific problems and you could incorporate that in to your game without needing to copy and paste their code directly

• Marbles says:

What I’d like to see is how a type of game is implemented without the use of an engine (and not specifically how the physics is implemented (well, it depends on the kind of game also)) and how the jammer managed and implemented it under time pressure. I’d like to analyze why they did this or that, why they put the code in here or in there, etc. I want to see how they structured code. For games made in Unity, yeah I could also do that by importing the game and see how objects interact. But I think there are some things that you can learn about code when reading game code with no engine vs with an engine.

• Marbles says:

One thing I’d like to know is about those games that use a “dynamic” asset (I don’t know what it’s called). An example would be a rope in the game, doing things with it like throwing, etc. I’m not sure how they do it that it behaves and moves like a rope. Not sure if that is on the art part or code part.

• DatCodingGuy says:

If you want to look at rope elements it might be more useful to learn about popular physics libraries. I know that there’s some physics libraries that are multi-language and they have ports for Java, PyGame, ect. Maybe try to find a popular physics engine, find open source games that use it and learn from them

5. GFM says:

Some people list on their game entry which tools were used to make the game. So you could filter your search by using one of the following terms: haxe, haxeflixel, java, lwjgl, pico8, sdl2, flixel, flashpunk… That should help point you toward games that were made from scratch, or with an open framework.

For the specific example you mentioned in your comment, look at Deepnigh’s entry for LD#30: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=2982. It has rope simulation and was made in Haxel. :)