Ludum Documentary

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
January 24th, 2017 7:54 pm

So it’s 2017, and come April the Ludum Dare game jam event will be 15 years old.

That’s something.

Something we haven’t been the best at is recording our legacy. A few nerds banging away at their keyboards for a weekend is no big deal. But when you do it for long enough time, it becomes one.

I will be in San Francisco for GDC. GDC is one of those rare times we get game makers from around the world together in one place, and I know a lot of people that have done Ludum Dare attend the show. Of course we can’t possibly get everyone involved, but GDC is a chance to get some of us together. And with our anniversary coming up, I feel it’s something we should take advantage of.

While I’m at the show, I want to facilitate and sit down with people that Ludum Dare has had some effect on, and have a conversation. Not “what do you like/hate about Ludum Dare”, but rather casually talk about your games, game making, and game jamming. Again, a conversation. I’ve often referred to Ludum Dare as a seed. It’s there to encourage you to make something. It’s the first step. It’s the thing that gets you in to game making, the thing that inspires you to finish a game, or sometimes even becomes the basis of a commercial game. For every game made there’s a story, and I want to see some of those stories told.

Our Ludum Dare keynotes are similar. There’s a playfulness to them (sometimes it’s all “business”), but in general I see it as a platform for the keynoters to share their story. For a while I’ve wanted to do something special with our 15th Anniversary Keynote, but I didn’t know what. There’s probably not enough time to produce a full documentary by April, but if we start at GDC, I’m sure we can cut together something by then.

To the point: I seriously need help with this!

To start, I’m not a filmmaker. I do know about the tech and the tools (#nerd), but I don’t do it. I don’t know how realistic this is going to be, but I want to find someone to work with on this. Someone that is also going to be at GDC. To be blunt, yes I’m looking for someone to capture, edit, and produce the documentary. I don’t have a budget, but I want to see this get made, so I’ll chip in where it makes sense. And yes, I do realise what I’m asking. I want to see something “Ludum Dare Documentary” get made, and I’ll do whatever I can to help. I wont be in charge of this (that’s you), but I want to facilitate it so that it does happen.

I will probably call upon folks to capture footage of small and intimate gatherings (because realistically we can’t be everywhere), but before we get there, I need to find someone to work with on this. Worst case I’ll bring my garbage camcorder and field recorder with me so I have footage, but I would prefer to have someone take charge on this.

Feel free to reach out.

9 Responses to “Ludum Documentary”

1. TheGreenTie says:

I want to be part of this!!!

What can I do to help? Ludum Dare was the one event that changed the way I see development in general, made me learn how to become efficient and its random themes made me force myself to learn new things. I still remember my first jam back in 2013 like it was yesterday.

I can do animations and (average) video editing, but particularly animations. If you need help with anything related hit me up, please!

2. DragonFyZex says:

If you want I can do video editing with TheGreenTie :D. I would love to work with anyone if I atleast can have a part. If you need my help, send your mail to brandonli@renderedsea.xyz.

3. Crafting4U says:

I would like to help with video editing. I won’t be at GDC tho, so maybe prioritize those who will before me. 😛 I’m happy to work with others, and if you would like to contact me, send me an e-mail at hrguest9@gmail.com :)

4. Feng says:

I used to be a professional broadcast designer at TV Station before becoming a game developer, although I won’t be at GDC this time, I’d be happy to help with motion graphic design and animations. :)

If you need my help, please send me an email:
    felixpf#icloud.com (please replace “#” with “@”)

5. Alex Rose says:

Hi Mike,

I can’t help with the actual film stuff and not sure if you’re interested, but I’ll be at GDC. I got £100k in funding for my game which got a gold ld medal, which comes out in a few months, and LD has pretty much changed my entire life and brought me from the brink of complete failure to winning a bunch of awards, having a successful company and being able to do my dream job. So, if that’s something you’re interested in, I’d be very happy to talk about it.

Cheers.

6. Gamepopper says:

Unfortunately I don’t have enough film expertise or tools to help but I’ll be at GDC, I’d love to help out anyway I can. Ludum Dare has helped encourage me to make fun and short games over the last three/four years, and in the most recent one having achieved such a high rank on my game was a great achievement for me.

7. SomethinBoutGames says:

I love this idea!! Just yesterday I rewatched this hilarious summary of ludum dare history by the buttonmasherbros and I think it could be used in a documentary type thing, maybe as a quick overview :)

I think PoV even got a part in it…

8. Evgiz says:

This sounds awesome!

Not exactly what you’re asking, but previously for LD35 i made a gameplay compilation of some of the games. I’d be happy to share the footage if its something that could be used in a documentary.

I know quite a few others have made similar compilations, and I’m sure they’d be happy to share as well.

9. SojaBird says:

I think this is super cool! :O
    I will be at GDC but won’t have the skill to do recording or editing.
    It’s going to be my first time so I’d probably be walking around SF a lot xD

Cool stuff good luck.
    Let me know if there will be any LD party or whatever and I’ll be there 😉