Rainwater – Some kind of post-mortem

Posted by (twitter: @go_go_goto)
January 2nd, 2017 5:43 pm

Last two weeks of 2016 were kinda busy for me (real life work, lots of it) so I couldn’t play and rate as I wanted to. So I was spending this weekend until now to play, rate and write comments on games I’ve saved here. :)

I was going to write this one earlier, but I couldn’t, gonna try to make it a quick one. πŸ˜‰

(Click on read more to read the full blabbering :P, if you want to check my entry, it’s right here).

For this jam, I wanted to get out of my cycle of using Haxe/Clickteam Fusion, so I went for GameMaker for this one. As I was using it a lot on some personal and collab projects, it was fresh on my mind, so it proved to be the best solution for now.

Turns out that it was the best idea, specially since my idea came only after the first 24h (again), and I had to program stuff really quickly. Spending the week before LD doing tutorials on scores, platforming and general GM basics also helped keep everything fresh on my mind. Also, this being my 5th time on LD, I was more relaxed while working, and didn’t get that desperate, as I was on my first time here. πŸ˜›

Once I got the idea, with some inspiration drawn from stuff my fiancΓ©e and my mom said, I started sketching the idea right away on GM, without mockups and stuff. The only thing I kinda drew on paper was the title screen and the idle pose for the character. πŸ˜›

(some videos I recorded while developing the entry, the timer was going to have that circular bar)

Rainy days here in SΓ£o Paulo kinda helped me set the mood for the game and, since I also have some barrels to collect rainwater at home, it kinda helped with inspiration in here. πŸ˜› I also took advantage of the rain to record rain sounds, collected some buckets of water to record the drops and water streams (and almost drowned my phone doing that).

Music was the last thing I did for the game, and I went for a light bossa nova style song since, after strumming some stuff on the guitar, it sounded the most fitting one for the background rain sounds. In the end, it became one of my favorite game songs I wrote. πŸ˜›

The development process wasn’t 100% ok, it had flaws, stuff went wrong, stuff came pretty late, but the end result made me feel pretty satisfied with my entry. And right now it’s the one that feels most complete to me, since it has a menu, some local high scores and it’s properly wrapped up (at least for me).

I’m planning now on making it more polished, add more stuff and make it a commercial title. πŸ˜› Let’s see if I can live up to the challenge! πŸ˜‰

And, before I end, some TL;DR:

What Went Right this time:
– Used an engine that I’ve been using a lot recently (GameMaker: Studio), so developing things went quite smoothly once I’ve got the basic concept;
– Making the Android and HTML versions was painless (save for touch controls on Android, which I added post-jam, and were kinda nerve-wracking);
– Rainy days really helped me think of the game, I also recorded some sounds from the rain;
– Music came out pretty quickly, once I realized what kind of sound I wanted to match the rainy background;
– Kinda spent some time animating stuff this time, and it came out pretty satisfactory (to me);

What Went Wrong:
– Spent the first day mostly lazing around because I couldn’t think of an idea;
– Spent some time on real life work, during the development of the game, it kinda made my head almost explode;
– Spent too much time writing a circular bar script for the timer and scraped it in the end, doing this kinda wasted a lot of time on the last day;
– Slept so little and drank too much caffeine, it kinda made me feel bad for a few days after;
– Jumping is useless! :(;

Missed some stuff, but I’m kinda in a hurry right now, so I might write a proper post about all games’ process someday in a better way. πŸ˜›

Thanks for reading, sorry for my writing and Good Luck for everyone! :)


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]