The LD37 Backup Plan (Submit Here)

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
December 11th, 2016 11:40 am

Darn it.

I’ve lost count at how many hours I’ve been awake, but it’s at the point where the code is there, it should be working, but it’s not working, and I’m not rested enough to figure it out why.

I can’t make you wait any longer to open submissions, so I’ve opened a classic Ludum Dare submission form here:

[ Submit/Edit Game | View All ]

Officially, that’s where you submit.

Once I get some sleep, and we get through Submission Hour, I’m going to pick up where I left off and see what I can make work. I still haven’t decided exactly what I want to do, but I would like to try sticking with my plan and run some sort of judging on the new site. Invite anyone that want’s to resubmit to do so, and we’ll run a test-run of judging using the pool of games we do get.

Darn it. I’m really disappointed and embarrassed that I wasn’t able to get this going cleanly with enough hours for compo people to submit. I’m sorry. I’ll be back in a few hours after I get some sleep. ๐Ÿ˜‰

EDIT: Yay, a rested Mike is better than a zombie Mike. Here’s how submissions were going to work:

Once we get through Submission Hour, I’m going to see about adding screenshots, then pushing it to the Live server. Above is still going to be the official way to submit (to both events), but I’m hoping to still do a test-run of judging next weekend on the new site.

EDIT2: Hello and welcome back from the server outage! :D. I had to disable Cloudflare to get us to this point. That probably means it’s going to be rather slow over the next hour or two. Also there might still be some DNS issues, so have patience.

EDIT3: And one last reminder. To submit to the compo you need to click all 4 of those checkboxes.

checkboxesld

EDIT4: If you’re getting errors while submitting, you may need to simplify your submission. Try just 1 screenshot at first (you can add more after), and make sure your links include http:// or https://. Also try changing the format of your screenshot (PNG to JPG). There’s an old old bug that sometimes trips over images in certain formats.

42 Responses to “The LD37 Backup Plan (Submit Here)”

1. ajayajayaj says:

Thanks for working so hard!

2. Hemuuuli says:

Get a good sleep, you have earned it! Jams should be a safe place to do mistakes, even for organizers.

3. CMLSC says:

I was already expecting this. XD

4. Theihe says:

Get some well deserved sleep :)
    Best wishes!

5. cjke.7777 says:

Dude! Don’t be so harsh on yourself! You do a killer job.

Do you guys look for volunteer work on the web front? Happy to help lend some webdev skills after the comp is all done and judged to get the site prepped for 38.

• Zeriver says:

“But before I move on, I need to give a shoutout to @stormburpee. Itโ€™s thanks to him we the nice fancy countdown clock. The clock was also the first major contribution to the Ludum Dare open source project on GitHub. Thatโ€™s not to say the Toolchain is ready for prime time. The things he had to deal with are pretty nuts. But things are starting to get things cleared up. Right now, focus on game making. You can join me doing website making another day.”

6. Pio6 says:

Don’t worry! The new website is really cool. I’m sure it will all go much better in next LD.

7. oxysoft says:

Again, at the expense of sounding rude, how was it not possible to finish the website in the one year you’ve had to do it? As I’ve said before, I watched a guy live on Twitch back in 2013-2014 make his own Ludum Dare-like event and website in the span of 2-4 weeks, all live on Twitch, and it had blog posts, submissions, etc. All complete with markdown of course.

Either there has been some pretty serious functional procrastination or you’re not giving us the full picture, and I think it’s reasonable to expect the new website to have been done after a year of development

• alxm says:

Sounds like you want your money back, is that it?

• Rialgar says:

“One year of development” can mean many different things. In PoV’s case, he is working his but of in freelance jobs to get the money to even run a server that supports this scale of event. The donations do NOT suffice for that. Not speaking of his own expenses (he made a rundown sometime ago). He is working on the page/events in the little spare time he has and the unpaid time just before/after each LD.

I think we own PoV a lot. Without him LD would not exist. It is the largest “from home” Game Jam currently in existence, and PoV is literally the only one running it. There is no PR department, no Marketing, no Legal, no OPS, no IT, only PoV and the occasional helpful soul.

Maybe this gives you more of a complete picture.

8. MacDocBros says:

I have a problem submitting. When I try to submit my game it says “bad formdata”. I’m going jam, I have uploaded screenshots and I have pasted in an itch.io link. Can someone help me???

9. Phantom Lab says:

Dude, don’t even worry about it.
    Last minute features never work – even multi-million dollar productions can’t get them to work.
    Sleep well now ๐Ÿ˜€

10. LeoM says:

You did a great job anyway, keep going. ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. SamuelSousa says:

Taking a nappy is a good idea :) Come back fresh…

12. eric777 says:

Thanks for all the hard work! New site looks really cool, can’t wait for next LD!

13. coasterspaul says:

>itโ€™s at the point where the code is there, it should be working, but itโ€™s not working, and Iโ€™m not rested enough to figure it out why.

And so you have to stop trying to make things fancier and start with plan B. That’s just the Ludum Dare spirit!

14. swellbastion says:

Thanks for all the work so far, you definitely deserve a break. The website looks awesome so far :)

15. stuffedgravy says:

Don’t worry about it! We’re in a great position where there’s a familiar fallback so our experience wasn’t messed up. Thanks for all your work!

16. johnfn says:

PoV, you always seem like you are really worried that the community is gonna bite you or something if you don’t do an amazing job on the LD website. The reality is that even if you did the worst imaginable thing, say you were just like “here’s a dropbox folder, everyone put your game in it, have fun!!!” we would still have fun and be fine with it.

Thanks for all your hard work, PoV! You’re the best!

17. PoV says:

Here’s a video of submissions on the new site working (in the VM).

Once we get through Submission Hour for the Compo, I’m going to do a bunch of tweaking (hopefully get screenshots in), before pushing it to the live server.

18. MrEvilGuy says:

What the heck?!?! I tried submitting my game at 8:58am but it crashed. So I waited a couple of minutes and now it won’t let me submit to the compo? Only the Jam?!?!?!

Is it really that strict?!

19. rjhelms says:

So are we doing ratings on this site then? Is rating still not opening ’til Friday, or can we expect it sooner?

Thanks o much for everything, PoV – your effort will all be worth it when the new site is ready to rock from day one for the next Ludum Dare.

• PoV says:

Yeah. I was going to do a poll, but lets be real, who doesn’t want judging? ๐Ÿ˜‰

So okay, we’ll do old style judging, and run an alpha test of the new judging alongside. I’ll have a new post shortly.

20. kidando says:

Hi Mike. I’m trying to update my entry. I’m trying check all the checkboxes like in your screenshot above but everytime I save, nothing updates.

21. Exevalon says:

How much time is remaining for the LDJam? The clock has disappeared from ldjam.com. Unless I’m off timewise and it already ended.

22. Naca says:

Will there be an extra hour for submissions as usual? If so, could you please announce it in the top banner?

Thanks a lot.