New LD Member

Posted by
July 29th, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello, I’m new to Ludum Dare (and game development), so I’m entering the Mini LD #69 to see if I can create a game. I’m using python3 and pygame as well as PyCharm for my IDE. I’ve been programming for a 4 or 5 years and got interested in game development. Any tips for Ludum Dare, game development, or python would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “New LD Member”

1. jcmonkey says:

well for the first night, use the first few hours to design the game. then use the rest of the night for making a prototype.

on the second day pick what features you will code for the day. at the end of the day what you have is what you have.

on day three start working on all the sounds, if you dont have a working game by now, you need to wrap that up as fast as possible, then get onto the sounds.

by sunday night you need to have everything done, skip working on features if it will force you to do big recompile and what not.

you dont need amazing artwork, but you should have some art work that portrays what you want us to play.

and if you end up running short and didnt get things done on time, just be honest and dont put your game in the voting section for what features you didnt get done on time.

like if you got no audio or music, then opt out of the audio voting category.

there is no shame in not finishing a game, but just be honest in the end, and let us play what you made anyway. we can always give pointers on whats wrong, or on whats amazing and you should keep working on it.

but hope this helps a bit, cheers o/

2. Decentsauce says:

I made a game using Python and Pygame during LD34(Compo) so you can check the source if you want.

I would recommend adding .convert_alpha() when loading images/sprites for your game because that speeds up the game a lot! (That’s why the LD34 version of my game is laggy)

• Aeolus says:

I’ll take a look at your game, thanks for the tip. What does .convert_alpha() do?
      EDIT: Forgot to ask, are there any tools you used to package your program with pygame to distribute it?

• Knowledge says:

I used cx_freeze, it might get a bit tricky, but you can publish source code on 3rd day and port using cx_freeze later.

• Decentsauce says:

convert.alpha() converts the image so it is optimized for fast blitting. As for image quality I didn’t really notice a difference with the sprites I used. You can read more about it in the pygame documentary. (I think it was in the pygame.Surface part)

For packaging I used py2exe. (Only works for Windows, I don’t know how to do it for Linux or Mac) Just make sure that you use the right file locations in your script and put the images/audio in the package that py2exe creates. There are tutorials on how to use py2exe so I recommend searching for one.

3. CyberStarLight says:

Welcome! and good luck!

4. SudoDave says:

I would suggest making a LOT of really bad games.

while you may be amazing at coding, the logic of video games is often quite different than standard procedural programming. Personally I have a massive folder of all the half baked games that I’ve made. They’re all horrible and none are actually complete but I learned a lot about game making when coding them.

I also have some experience using pygame so if you want some help with that, I’m sure I can dig up some old source code for you.

• Aeolus says:

Thanks for the tips. I made a few simple games to test out the structure and logic of a video game and the one I’m working on right now, I’m trying to use my limited knowledge to see what the best I can do is right now.
      I would really appreciate looking at your source code, as I still don’t fully grasp how different structures work in this context, especially how object orienting fits into video game development.