Rescue Chicken

Posted by (twitter: @LiamLimeGames)
May 1st, 2016 7:46 pm

My fellow LudumDarians! We may be the lucky ones, who got enough votes for our game to get a rating! But not everyone is quite so lucky – Sure, some may be lazy! Others may be busy! Their reasons matter not! What matters is that…

Every game deserves a rating!

Join me! Let’s make this happen!

To help, I made:

-> Rescue Chicken <-

Using this tool, you can see which games are close to receiving the required bare minimum of 17 votes. Let’s help our fellow participants get a rank. Let’s not judge why they have not yet voted for enough games to get a rating themselves, let’s just help them out.

Rescue Chicken is an open-source follow up to Rescue Rangers from previous jams, which I have not seen in a few Ludum Dares.

Available on Github

25 Responses to “Rescue Chicken”

1. avinashd says:

That is amazing! Some games at the bottom (0 votes, 2 votes, etc) are stuck there because the submitters don’t let people vote on it (no categories selected). Is it possible to filter those out?

Great work on the tool. Sure you don’t want to put it up on github for later jams? :)

2. Liam :D says:

Thank you very much! 😀

To remove the entries where authors have not selected any categories to be rated on, I’d have to parse every single entry’s page, which would cause a lot of overhead (Granted I’ll probably end up doing that for my LD data store thing for this jam: http://ludumdare.com/compo/2016/01/10/how-many-people-actually-got-ratings/)

The download link for the source is at the bottom of the page. The code is, uh, messy! But it works 😀 I probably should post it on Github too, though. I’ll edit the post above when I do. Additionally, there is a URL GET parameter you can set to select another game jam. For example, for LD34, you can do:

So when voting for LD36 comes, assuming we’ll still be using this wordpress page, it will be available at http://liamlime.com/content/ldtools/rescuechicken/?event=36

3. pixzleone says:

Chickens!? Get back into my stardew valley savefile!

4. miwuc says:

This is brilliant! Thanks for doing this!

5. 3T3A says:

Just a question.
    I got more than 17 votes but the box say i need more vote. Is it a bug or is it okay?

6. Crowbeak says:

I’m pretty sure games actually need 20 votes, not 17…

7. Liam :D says:

You can take a look at the table here: http://liamlime.com/experiments/ldscrape/out-ludum-dare-34.html

Games with 17 votes are the first to receive ratings. As best as I can tell it’s 17 votes per category. The written 20 votes minimum is probably meant to account for people not casting a vote in each category.

8. Tanton-H2X says:

this is really useful and great! thanks a lot

9. BinaryFox says:

This is great, thank you!

10. Thanks a lot for your effort :)
    This helps boost a few entries above the mark \o/

I would love if more people provided Mac builds or even better web apps, though :/

11. Where is it stated that you need 17 votes? I keep hearing people mention it, but I didn’t see this posted anywhere.

12. GGAlliance says:

It’s an excellent idea! (:
    Congratulations.

13. AnaGF says:

Great work and amazing idea. Thank you!

14. terryg says:

I rated Wings for Ska Li and then clicked the egg to indicate that it was done. It has been a few minutes but it still shows up as needing one more vote and it has the required min of 17. Strange.

15. pta2002 says:

Thanks a lot for this! This is awesome!

16. leffe108 says:

Great that you have selectors for platform so you can filter on what you can/want to play. As I made a mobile game I wanted to rate mobile games, and discovered a few through your tool by filtering on Android.

17. ThommazK says:

You are a kind soul.

18. Liam :D says:

I forgot to mention here – the source is now also available on GitHub. If anyone would like to expand it, you are welcome to do so!

19. Liam :D says:

Rescue Chicken was a huge success! 80.5% of games got ratings, as opposed to 73.4% in LD34! Awesome work, everyone!