Transmuto – post mortem

Posted by
April 18th, 2016 4:35 pm
Transmuto
 ________                                                                 __               
|        \                                                               |  \              
 \$$$$$$$$______   ______   _______    _______  ______ ____   __    __  _| $$_     ______  
   | $$  /      \ |      \ |       \  /       \|      \    \ |  \  |  \|   $$ \   /      \ 
   | $$ |  $$$$$$\ \$$$$$$\| $$$$$$$\|  $$$$$$$| $$$$$$\$$$$\| $$  | $$ \$$$$$$  |  $$$$$$\
   | $$ | $$   \$$/      $$| $$  | $$ \$$    \ | $$ | $$ | $$| $$  | $$  | $$ __ | $$  | $$
   | $$ | $$     |  $$$$$$$| $$  | $$ _\$$$$$$\| $$ | $$ | $$| $$__/ $$  | $$|  \| $$__/ $$
   | $$ | $$      \$$    $$| $$  | $$|       $$| $$ | $$ | $$ \$$    $$   \$$  $$ \$$    $$
    \$$  \$$       \$$$$$$$ \$$   \$$ \$$$$$$$  \$$  \$$  \$$  \$$$$$$     \$$$$   \$$$$$$ 

 

Second Ludum Dare for me. I decided to change it up a bit and learn something new. So I went with the JavaScript/Typescript + Three.js + Physi.js. This was my first time doing anything in JavaScript so learning that and TypeScript a few hours before the compo was fun. I used TypeScript since I’m used to OOP and static typing through Java. Using TypeScript brought some problems though, since the definition files from definitelytyped.org were not completely accurate for Physi.js.

At first I didn’t like the theme, I already had a killer idea of a puzzle game for Everything is connected. I wanted to have 3D and physics in this game since thats fun to tinker with. Brainstorming took place and I ended up with Transmuto – a game about shooting polyhedrons. You yourself are a polyhedron, you shoot your own shape, while your enemies are only vulnerable to their own shape. You shapeshift after collecting positive and negative polygons.

What went right

  • I like the audio. Making it on audiotool.com/app/ was fun.
  • Graphics are okay too. I had some custom shaders in mind, I wanted nice smooth shadows and a rather clean look. But I simply didn’t have time.
  • In the end I think its playable, I improved from last time, definitely made it much easier and balanced as I was close to submitting.
  • I learned JavaScript/TypeScript.

What went wrong

  • I struggled with physics. The Physi.js docs are almost non-existent and combined with the Typescript definitions not being annotated, I ended up fixing a bug as simple as extends Physijs.Mesh -> extends Physijs.SphereMesh for 5 hours on the first day.
  • I didn’t have time for proper level design and just adding more features I thought of. ^^

 

Tags: , , ,


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]