“Isn’t that crate?” Post-mortem

Posted by (twitter: @codexus)
December 17th, 2015 1:44 pm

finalss

PLAY AND RATE

My game is 3d puzzle game based on the two-button theme. Each door requires the activation of two different buttons in order to be opened.

Tools used:

  • Unity 5
  • Modo
  • ZBrush
  • Substance Designer
  • Substance Painter
  • Band-in-a-Box
  • Reason

What went right:

I managed to finish a game. After a winning streak of finishing a game for 7 LDs in a row (and a total of 16), I couldn’t finish one since LD #27.¬† So I hope I’ll be back on track from now on.

To maximize my chances, I stuck to a simple plan, aiming for a style of game that I managed to do successfully in the past. I resisted the urge to try crazy ideas that while more original would have mostly likely failed. I was once again tempted to make my game a VR game for the Oculus Rift but as cool as that would have been I’m glad I focused first on making a game.

Also I was able to work hard for a total of 45h of actual work over 3 days, barely finishing in time.

What went wrong:

Time management:

Main character: 40%

Level graphics: 20%

Implementing the gameplay : 25%

Level design: 10%

Sound, music and GUI: 5%

I spent twice as much time on my main character than¬† I did in previous LDs for no increase in quality. I had decided to finally switch to using Modo for my whole process instead of doing the rigging and animation in Blender. I had prepared for that and tested the workflow but I guess that wasn’t enough and I lost some time when hitting a few technical difficulties. Part of the problem was I couldn’t refrain using my newly acquired knowledge and went too far with the rigging (for example, adding a foot roll system). I also let myself carried away during the texturing with Substance Painter that I was using for the first time in production. Both software are awesome, but it’s easy to just try things and lose focus of the goal that should have been to finish the character as quickly as possible.

As a result, after finishing the rest of the game, I had not enough time for making levels, which is why there are only 4 levels, and the only level that was supposed to be interesting is actually flawed and can be completed without really solving it. So that part is a failure.

Overall even if I lost some time, I was happy with my new tools and I will continue to use this workflow. I just need to be more practiced at it and not let myself too carried away into details.


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]