Tile Risers – lessons learned

Posted by (twitter: @etodd_)
December 14th, 2015 1:15 am

Tile Risers gameplay

We made a multiplayer HTML5 game using Node and Three.js. This was the first Ludum Dare for all of us, and we had a blast! Thanks for a great time.

What did we learn? Mainly, we became intimately familiar with the pitfalls of Javascript ES5. Instead of politely exploding with an error when we tried to compare an object with an integer using the “greater than” operator, Javascript soldiered on, silently corrupting our state and making the game nearly impossible to debug. At least 5 major bugs like this occurred.

Can’t speak for the rest of the team, but next time I’ll be using an ES2015 transpiler. Or better yet, anotherĀ language entirely.

That said, Node and Three.js were both great, we’re all proud of the result, and we’re thankful for the opportunity to participate. :)

Play Tile Risers here!

Tags: , , ,


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]