Welcome to Ludum Dare 34!

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
December 9th, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi everyone, and Welcome to Ludum Dare 34! It’s almost time to kick-off the event, but before we do that, we need to pick our theme.

CLICK ME!

Click the image above to Vote for Ludum Dare 34’s Theme! The highest rated theme will be revealed on Friday December 11th at 9:00 PM EST (6:00 PM PDT, or Saturday 02:00 UTC).

Join us on IRC (#ludumdare on irc.afternet.org) or Twitter (/ludumdare) for the Theme Announcement!

If you haven’t been around these past few weeks, you’ll notice something different when you click above. Some weeks ago, we kicked off part of the new Ludum Dare website, and we’ve been testing it along the way. Blogging and Submissions for Ludum Dare 34 will continue to use the WordPress powered Ludum Dare website (you are here now). However, the entire Theme Selection process was handled by the new website.

There were some hiccups and experiments along the way, but I hope those of you that got to use it liked what you saw. If you run in to any issues with the theme selection site, leave a comment below, or feel free to get in touch.

And before I go, if you’re having troubles activating your account, send me an e-mail with your username and I’ll help you when I can.

Keynote! Hosted by Crowbeak

Here to get you hyped is Lena “Crowbeak” LeRay. She’s one of our favourite people from IndieGames.com, and she recently finished a post-compo (post-jam) version of a game Ultra Hat Dimension with fellow Ludum Dare 29 keynoter Emma “Eniko” Maassen. Here’s her story.

That’s it from me. Let’s get Ludum and Daring!

Tags:

44 Responses to “Welcome to Ludum Dare 34!”

1. mdeir says:

Unicode snowman confirmed?

2. Evergreen Games says:

Whaaaaat? No joke theme?

3. cynicalmonkey says:

When you update the Theme site with all the stats will we be able to see how well our submitted themes did in the slaughter round. It would be nice to see how drastically my idea of what an interesting theme would be differs from the community ( I already know it differs somewhat based on the themes that made it to the top ten)

4. Is there no way to view the results of the four preliminary voting rounds? All I can see is the Final Voting list now.

5. Tijn says:

Awesome keynote, Crowbeak! <3

6. Robber says:

great keynote, spoken from the heart!

7. AdricZero says:

How is “Journey into the unknown” not a duplicate of “Unexplored” ?

• PoV says:

Because nobody noticed before, and then they both scored well. :)

• little-burrito says:

I’d say that journey into the unknown will have to start somewhere that’s somehow more known and then actually go into the unknown. Unexplored doesn’t ask for anything specific and is in a way a much wider theme. No journey needs to be part of it, and it could be anything, not necessarily something you could ever “reach”.

• OkaDoka says:

It kind of seems like Journey into implies more of an adventure, where as Unexplored is vague enough it could refer to game play mechanics, themes or an actual unexplored place

• Stuntddude says:

I see what you mean, but on the other hand, “unexplored” doesn’t have to be a place. It could be an idea, or something else. It doesn’t have to be unknown, either.

8. Acedia says:

There’s no Decmebr on my calendar :(

9. Hemuuuli says:

One the best keynotes so far. Straightforward and honest, like it should be.

10. Aiursrage2k says:

I dont know why you redo a boss level that is too hard just tell your players to get good

11. Lokarin says:

Well, my initial idea was to grow… the controller. Only have two buttons, start and select, and have to grow the functionality to play. But then I thought “ehhhh, probably not everyone has a 360 controller” so I settled on just a farming game.

12. adrian09_01 says:

My idea is to grow a video game. You start from the early DOS era, make your way through Windows 3.1 and 98 era and end up on the Modern and Indie Renaissance. In your quest you unlock various features, including graphics, healthbar, shooting, enemies and a village. It sounds like an Evoland clone, but it isn’t, because you buy these things for ingame coins, so it’s like Evoland and DLC Quest in one.

13. adrian09_01 says:

One of the features is National Accents, that adds a cow talking in Polish.

14. bloomingbuds says:

“Blooming Buds” is definitely in! :)
    We’ll also try to use both themes. Let’s see how it works 😛

15. Stuntddude says:

I have a question that I’m not sure where to post, so I’m commenting it here: is it okay to optimize my game after submitting it? I know the rules say we’re allowed to port to other platforms or fix outstanding bugs after the deadline as long as we document our changes and don’t otherwise change the gameplay or content, but does that extend to making performance improvements, i.e. making the game run better/use less memory/making the release file size smaller?

16. joeytrebiani says:

Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. http://itsmydownload.com