Ludum Dare 33 Theme Voting Begins!

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
August 15th, 2015 10:09 am

Theme Voting has begun! Tune in every day this week for a new round of themes. *

[ ROUND 1 | ROUND 2 | ROUND 3 ]

[ ROUND 4 | FINAL ROUND ]

* Links above in Bold are still open. If you haven’t cast a vote yet, click the link to do it. End times for each round vary, and many cross over.

* If you get an error message about needing to log in to vote, and you are already logged in, then try refreshing your browser (CTRL+F5 in Firefox/IE), or in Chrome F12 then Right Click on Refresh and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”).

Special thanks to sorceress for preparing the theme list.

160 Responses to “Ludum Dare 33 Theme Voting Begins!”

1. conniejoern says:

just 9 themes with positive ratings in 3 rounds???
    we will have themes with negative ratings in round 5, I guarantee it.
    good thing is that, there is no clear favorite so far. keeps things a surprise

• Azlen says:

There are always very few themes with positive ratings, this happens in every round

• Alex Rose says:

I’ve only been measuring the results since Ludum Dare 27, but since then, the number of positive vote themes in each jam was:

27: 11
        28: 22
        29: 14
        30: 15
        31: 11
        32: 11
        33: 10

Lowest I’ve ever seen to be fair.

Also, upvote total of higher voted themes is 303 this time. Previous ones were 748, 694, 406, 835, 613 and 774. So 303 is pretty pathetic.

Also, the current highest theme (You are the Monster) only has 46% upvotes. In the others the top theme had 58%, 51%, 46% (Beneath the Surface which was awful), 52%, 55% and 52%.

As for “themes seen before”:

You Are The Monster obviously is very like You Are The Villain which won Ludum Dare 25.
        Can’t Stop Moving is very like Don’t Stop Moving, which came third in Ludum Dare 30 (and is third here).
        Death Is Not The End is very like Death is Useful, which was in the top 10 in Ludum Dare 28, 29 and 31.

2. Jwatt says:

Attraction, Chain Reaction, and It Spreads!, I put my trust in you to save us from switcheroos like No Combat.

3. steve says:

I think it could be interesting to try multiple themes per jam; I feel there’s enough people participating in LD now that multiple themes could still be explored well.

For example, if we had 2 themes we could select one as we do currently and the second could be selected randomly from the pool of themes used in the round voting processes minus the top 10% favourite entries.

This way we’d get a theme directly voted by the community, and one which was a potentially a little more controversial; then allow people to draw from both/either of those themes in whatever way they see fit for their actual entries.

If there was concern that this might produce two very incompatible themes then the second theme could perhaps be restricted to only single word themes, or any theme that it selected reduced to a single word before announcement.

For example, grabbing from past themes, the selected themes might be:

An Unconventional Weapon / Screen
    Connected Worlds / Beneath
    You Only Get One / 10
    Minimalism / Villian

• steve says:

Some other examples pulled from the current voting top and bottom results:

Can’t Stop Moving / Illusion
      A World in the Skies / Magnets
      Death is Not the End / Dreamscape

4. Larzan says:

As nobody posted a list of the complete results and so that you don’t have to waste the 5min it takes to do it yourself, here is a searchable google doc with all the votes from round 1-4:

5. fullmontis says:

I am starting to think that themes should be limited to 3 words max. All themes that have more are too specific to really be a theme.

Like A world in the skyes. Is that a theme? To me looks more like a setting. Something like “In the sky” would have been better to me because it doesn’t close it to something specific.

• sorceress says:

In these 3+ years I’ve been preparing the theme list, one thing I’ve noticed is just how sensitive the themes are to slight changes in wording.

Sometimes in the past we’ve been tempted to modify some theme, to make it sound a bit better, only to see it plummet in the voting. Such changes are invariably destructive. We’ve learned to not do that.

“in the sky” was actually a theme suggestion, and it came 1300th place out of 4000. Compare that with “a world in the skies” which was in the top 100.

6. Keep in mind that restrictions actually help creativity. The more vague a theme is, can actually block game designers by wasting time trying to narrow down how they will apply it.

Of course this is a the risk of a lot of repetition in how the theme is interpreted.

7. bace1000 says:

I think randomising the order for each person would be better than sorting the list alphabetically. If you look at the final round most of the results are in the first half of the alphabet, and there are very few themes from the rest of it. I’ve also noticed I will upvote the first few themes and then slowly switch to more oftenly voting them down. Just an idea.

8. BananaRaffle says:

My personal criteria is that it’s not a theme unless it completes one of two sentences: “It’s a game about ___” (a narrative theme) or “It’s a game in which you ___” (a mechanics theme).

9. omonaka says:

Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. http://itsmydownload.com