I love couch multiplayer games, but I’ve never made one for Ludum Dare before since it seems like most people don’t have another person on-hand when they’re playing. This time, though, I had such a good idea I couldn’t pass it up – and I’ve been having a blast playing it with people, so I’m glad I didn’t!
Here are a few postmortem thoughts:
- Re-using code really paid off in this one. I was able to make three different game modes and a neat main menu, predominantly because they all pivot around the same Balloon code, with a few small toggles to tweak the behavior in each.
- When I have sound effects, I usually use sfxr. This time around I recorded sounds using Audacity. It was quite fast and almost as easy as sfxr. All I needed was a balloon, my wastepaper basket, and my voice (at 190% speed). I still need to find a good tool and workflow for making fast music for jams, though.
I hope you can find a friend to play the game with, it’s totally worth it! If not, there is an AI available.