Ludum Dare 32 Theme Voting Begins!

Posted by (twitter: @_sorceress)
April 11th, 2015 12:21 pm

Theme Voting has begun! Tune in every day this week for a new round of themes. *

[ ROUND 1 | ROUND 2 | ROUND 3 ]

[ ROUND 4 | FINAL ROUND ]

* Links above in Bold are still open. If you haven’t cast a vote yet, click the link to do it. End times for each round vary, and many cross over.

* If you get an error message about needing to log in to vote, and you are already logged in, then try refreshing your browser (CTRL+F5 in Firefox/IE), or in Chrome F12 then Right Click on Refresh and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”).

Special thanks to PoV and Ratking for helping me with the theme list.

181 Responses to “Ludum Dare 32 Theme Voting Begins!”

1. Liveo says:

I reckon something with evolution should be the winner. I have always fancied trying to play around with a God algorithm. It would be very interesting.

2. dallonf says:

Aw man, I liked The Island. Was hoping to see a bunch of [legally distinct from] LOST games and such…

• GVmakesGames says:

I’m pretty sure the games like Stranded Deep, Subnautica and all those “survive in the sea” games really affected the vote. It’s getting overused as a theme, just like FNaF’s “can’t move + electricitymust preserve energy + crappy jumpscares” gameplay.

Note: I like all the games I just talked about, but seriously, theres an infinity of FNaF fangames right now.

3. MightyToast says:

Could not down vote Blue and Black or White and Gold hard enough… On the flip side, a couple of interesting ones this round.

4. Gaspard_ says:

I’m always astonished by how most themes end up in the negatives, is it because many do one +1 and everything else -1?
    On top of that I think nearly all proposed themes were great so far…

5. Xanderzoo says:

Everyone vote down Blue and Black/White and Gold. Please. Please. Please. How did that even get past the slaughter?

6. Sublustris says:

All best themes are here, in 4 round :)

7. Igor KinGamer says:

“Four Elements” sounds very inspiring… Absolutely no need to interpret it the usual (most obvious) way 😀

8. makerimages says:

F12 in chrome opens the devtoools.

9. yuigoto says:

A lot of things popped into my mind about “Out of Control”. 😛

Remembered my days working with advertising, creating slogans for clients that couldn’t be published. 😀

10. Horsed says:

Isn’t “Adapt[ing] to Survive” something you need to do in any game that you can die in? I find that very uninspiring :-(

11. HunterAugust says:

Looking pretty good for companion so far..

12. Anshul Goyal says:

I really hope people dont choose black, blue, golden and white. Lets just keep it out of the way!

13. Taunia Sabanski says:

*click-spasms on the -1 button for Blue/Black, White/Gold*

14. TwiiK says:

Can’t believe “Adapt to survive”, “Among the stars” and “It spreads” came out on top from round 2. In my mind those three are survival games, sci-fi games and virus games respectively.

I like “Edge of the world” though. I had this idea of a game where you’re sailing your ship along the vert edge of a flat earth or something. :p Perhaps not the most original take on it, but it looked like a fun little game in my head. 😀

• RealityCheck says:

Those are your take on these themes…

For example “It Spreads” – could be about rumors, news, or a pool of blood, an alien goo – lots of other things that can spread. I find it to be a very interesting theme indeed, and believe there could be a lot of different type of games to come from it.

The other two, I wouldn’t +1… but they’re not terrible either.

• TwiiK says:

Well yeah, but I generally dislike themes that lend themselves to one particular interpretation. Sure someone can create some really unique games with it, but I doubt the majority will. Especially with all the recent virus games on Steam etc.

In my opinion a lot of the top voted themes are “easy” themes with one default interpretation. Sure you do something cool with them, but the majority won’t so the majority of the games will be very similar.

I feel the same way about companion and unconventional weapon.

Deeper and deeper will probably lead to a lot of “ception” games.

15. wow, most of round 3 got hit HARD

16. Trenterprise says:

I’m pleasantly surprised that one of my suggested themes managed to slaughter all the others in Round 3. (An Unconventional Weapon)

17. Jwatt says:

An Unconventional Weapon seems to shine through cause it’s instantly accessible. I’m not really into that one, sounds more like a pitch than a theme, but I guess it was to be expected… Themes with a “default” interpretation are usually well-liked, which might disappoint people who want something more freeform.

18. postalrat says:

Whats with the gimmick options? Last it was snowman and this time it’s a changing option.

19. Igor KinGamer says:

Oh, no, Adapt to Survive, everyone wants tons of survival games!

20. felipeberquo says:

Voted for 1000 years 😛

21. NaoisTheGuardian says:

No matter what theme we get, people will be disappointed. The themes that are easiest to work with are the most boring, general ones though. So theme voting is where we trade away simplicity for a more interesting theme!

22. Donni11 says:

Does anyone know when round 5 is starting ?

23. GaTechGrad says:

Over the two years that I’ve been doing Ludum Dare, I think this is the first time that “Death is Useful” was not a theme option.

24. hoqjed says:

I kind of like grow as a theme. I can imagine some pretty interesting usage mechanically, as well as some meaningful interpretations of what it means to grow, or to help something else grow. I tend to favor the themes that can be taken both literally and symbolically in a variety of ways. Suits different people and creative processes.

Some very nice looking themes here though. Any of them would be suitable really.

25. Domantas says:

You are a power source.

I can only think of playing as zoltan 😀

26. jwk5 says:

I’m in! Compo if I work miracles and finish in a day, Jam if not… lol.