Mini LD #57 — Reversed

Posted by (twitter: @DietrichEpp)
February 15th, 2015 2:58 pm

!esreveR – 75# DL iniM

Your goal is to make a game which is somehow REVERSED.

As a bonus, please write your post-mortem first, before you start making your game. Tell us what went wrong and what went right… then go make your game!

Rules

Q: Can I…

A: Yes.

Timeline

You have the week from Friday, February 20 to Friday, February 27. Submissions will close on the 28th, and I will record gameplay videos for as many games as I can manage.

Bonus theme

The bonus theme is Chinese Zodiac… happy year of the Goat!

37 Responses to “Mini LD #57 — Reversed”

1. laaph says:

I believe you have your rules backward. I think it is supposed to go:

A: Yes.

Q: Can I….

2. Azlen says:

The timeline is backwards, it’s supposed to go:

You have the week from Friday, February 27 to Friday, February 20.

3. freaknarf says:

Where we’re from the birds sing a pretty song.Owls are not what they seem.

4. Jajo says:

This sounds interesting XD definitely in 😀
    D: ni yletinifed DX gnitseretni sdnuos sihT

Yay :3

5. Chadivision says:

You’re out :(

…which is backwards for I’m In :)

6. timtipgames says:

Awesome intro :)

Will watch the intro now.
    Hey guys,

7. SK16 Games says:

Let’s rock!
    I’ve got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style.

8. klianc09 says:

Dear past me,

Awww man, I wish I would have joined this MiniLD, seeing all those great games that have been made. 😉

I’m sure you can think of something, even if it’s just a tiny game, just make ANYTHING.

Yours sincerely, future me

9. I have to make music in reverse? This will be fun 😀

10. 16-Bit Socks says:

Hmm, may try and do this. Could be a good warm up for my first LDJam in April.

11. ReactorScram says:

Good jam, everyone! I think if I put some more effort into the “Game Feel” for Heavy Lifter, it would have gotten a better response, but there’s always next time.

12. Stargazer says:

It looks like all of the dialog from the scene you’re referencing has already been said, so I don’t have any witty comments to make. Nevertheless, awesome video!

13. freaknarf says:

Franck. Cheers. :) Those bugs I’ll fix in few days ago, I swear. Everything as planned worked.
    A bit more organized this time i’ll have been and simple trying to stick to something sober, yet Art stuff is, as always reduced by wasted on bad coding frustration, anyway. Maybe more often i should do stuff backwards, if only i would learn from my mistakes… And one more unfinished project ! Hi everyone!

14. pjimmy says:

kcul em hsiw, ni m’i

15. tjxx says:

Was waiting anxiously for the next mini-LD and here we go. Im in for sure :)

16. SkullPixel says:

It sounds painful to say all that backwards.
    Nice Job with the intro.

Hi!

17. johnfn says:

When I was younger I had this hilarious idea for a game that was straight up Zelda in reverse, where you have to meticulously enter dungeons and return all your treasures, then unslash your sword in the right positions to have the monsters spawn up. The game gets harder as you lose all your stuff…

I just always thought the idea would be hilarious and I’m tossing it out here in case anyone wants to take it on :)

• Dietrich Epp says:

I think that’s a great idea. I remember for the “Minimalism” Ludum Dare I played a reverse Metroid that someone had made, where you had to return everything to its place in the dungeon. Having not played very far into Metroid, I was a bit confused with everything at the beginning.

• coasterspaul says:

I thought of basically the same idea earlier this week. I hope you don’t mind if I go ahead with it.

18. PixelCubed says:

Well there that went, my first ever LD entry, otherwise or mini. I think it was fun..

19. Wow, I just randomly stumbled upon this post, and I am literally working on a prototype right now, which fits this theme *perfectly*. Weirrrd and awesome, it’s a great way to get it done and out there.

come to think of it, this fits the theme so well – I started working on the game before even hearing of the jam.

Brb, writing post-mortem.

20. gillenew says:

write the post-mortem before will be very interesting, I try to participate just because of that 😀

21. Cybearg says:

It seems I always check the week AFTER a mini-LD. Is there some schedule, mailing list, or other way to be informed of when mini-LDs are coming without checking back every few days?

• Dietrich Epp says:

Sorry about that, it was totally my fault that the announcement didn’t go out sooner. Maybe we could ask Mike to put Mini LD announcements on Twitter through the official LD account?

• Cybearg says:

That would be awesome and appreciated! Though a way to see upcoming mini-LDs would be great, too. There’s a countdown in the upper-right to the next full LD. Why not a counter or at least an obvious notification for upcoming mini-LDs? Are they just not planned in advance?

22. klianc09 says:

I know that is asked a lot with Mini LDs, but when will the submissions exactly close?
    Because I’m unsure whether I should just submit my game half-finished (ok, let’s say three-quarter finished) to the MiniLD, or let myself more time and polish it some more but risk missing the MiniLD deadline…

23. mmango says:

Hey developers, I had a quick question. Have you ever used custom music in your game submissions for Ludum Dare? Do you ever work with a composer for free or for pay? I’m just wondering if it would make sense to offer my composing services here for the next game jam.

• ReactorScram says:

mmango:

Yeah for one jam, a composer made music for a few games including mine. For another one, I had a composer work just on my game. They both helped with sound effects, too.

It’s a nice service but I would only pay if I was planning to sell the game.

• mmango says:

Yeah I definitely understand why the service would be free (since the game is free). Thanks for the info! I just wanted to see if there might be the tiniest demand for composers here.

24. eddynardo says:

(: ʇɐǝɹƃ sɐʍ p˥ ᴉuᴉɯ sᴉɥʇ llǝʍ

25. freaknarf says: