Special Wondering…

Posted by
February 9th, 2015 12:24 pm

I know lots of games out there are the following ( c++ c# java python? maybe javascript ) but i wanna take it up a notch and wonder if use 6502 assembly making a game with that instead of the old used stuff. Well I just wanna know if that’s fine. Note if i do. the testers will need an emulator of some sorts to run it :) Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Peace!

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “Special Wondering…”

1. MiniBobbo says:

There’s nothing stopping you. Just know that the less accessible the platform the less plays you are going to get…

2. go ahead! we tried to do some an Atari game on top of 6502 [some time ago](https://github.com/DeadBodyOutline/FlappyBlock). We, unfortunately, didn’t finish our game, but you can test on z26 or stella emulators as well.

go go go!

3. note for myself: markdown doesn’t work here :p

4. ThermalMan says:

It’s fine :) I just wanna do something different than all the other competition members! thanks for the reply’s guys :) means alot!

5. Chadivision says:

I will be seriously impressed. I wrote an Atari 2600 game in 6502, and just about lost my sanity in the process. :) I would love to see a game jam entry built with 6502, and I would definitely be willing to download an emulator to play it. Go for it!

6. pjimmy says:

There are many emulators to choose from, it all depends on the system you want to use. Many popular systems you can choose include Nintendo, Atari, C64 (uses an enhanced version of the 6502). Whether that’s fine or not, I would guess there’s no problem if you’re only doing small non-commercial stuff.
    Of course I would only recommend making a game for those platforms just for the sake of being different, but remember that people will need to download an emulator to play your game and configure the emulator, which is a big turnoff. Not only that but you’ll also need to invest way more time developing the game engine, time that could be used to enhance visuals, sound and complex game mechanics. There are other drawbacks. Emulators aren’t perfect representations of the hardware, so get ready to battle strange and undesirable bugs. Finally, unless you are already familiar with the system architecture, you’ll have to do a lot of homework first.

• ThermalMan says:

I will configure the emulator the the best specs i can get out of it. and setup a good keyboard layout so they don’t have to do that extra work!

• pjimmy says:

You can try using configuration files. I know many emulators that support them, then you can include the configuration files alongside your release. Hopefully, the only thing the player has to do is copy the files to the emulator folder, and presto, they’re ready to play. That will certainly be helpful, and draw the attention from the lazier ones, like yours truly :)

• ThermalMan says:

There is not game engine for the NES. It’s all internal and Addresses. The CPU and PPU are specialy made for making games. and it already has clock time. and Other enginey things. 😀

So need for game engines lol. Just making the game. The NES handles it all for you. you just tell it what to do

• pjimmy says:

I’m not so sure about that, but I never did anything in NES either. Not only you have to handle the hardware, but then you’ll have to implement physics, path finding, camera, collision detection, etc, depending on what you’re trying to do. There’s no way around this unless you’re using existing libraries. This means a whole lot of work just to make something resembling a platformer. Of course you can screw all that and just go crazy, that’s what I would do, something out of the ordinary but with attitude, just make it blink, squeak and explode 😀

• ThermalMan says:

NES is a game console right? well most consoles like xbox one. ps 4, etc. run of an engine running the threads, graphics rendering. updating game. etc. the NES does that stuff internaly. Note: I’ve been read the NES architecture. and its all internal. you just tell it what to do. and it carries out the instructions. you tell it to do. thats how it works :)

• dalbinblue says:

I wouldn’t say there aren’t game engines for the NES or that you couldn’t start with one. There’s is definitely repeatable code bases that are game agnostic like a sound engine, reading the controller, and even PPU update routines in NMI to handle updating name tables for scrolling that nearly any game can use. It may behoove you to have those things available before the start of the game jam as 48 hours goes by super fast. A

lso, with the NES you may be able to use an in browser emulator, and have the game run without anyone having to install anything. That would reduce your barrier to play significantly.

• ThermalMan says:

Ok. lets break it down.

There IS not Sound Engine, No Graphics Engine, No GAME ENGINE! wanna know? why???? here’s why…

There reason you think that is cause you’r used to Modern languages :) I know. Because I know that you need a game engine to setup a game for like Java, C, and all that. But the NES does not REQUIRE one. because.

The CPU works in a way were. you give INSTRUCTIONS to the CPU and it carries them out. The CPU has addresses from $0000 to $9000 inbetween are addresses for The PPU, APU, Controller, and CPU Instructions.

No in a modern lang, like say, Java. You write about maybe 30+ lines to display a bufferedImage. well the NES DOES NOT work that way. You have to first write the HIGH byte of the ppu, and then the LOW byte. so It’s ready to be writen data to. so you would need Instructions to tell