Obituary: Koen van Katwijk (Doctor Broccoli)

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
January 3rd, 2015 3:12 pm

Hey everyone, Mike here.

I regret to inform you that Koen van Katwijk, also known a Doctor Broccoli, has passed away. By request of his brother, this page will serve as a memorial of him and his games. I’ve taken the liberty to archive them here on LudumDare.com as well (all but his first Ludum Dare game, which I don’t have a working download for).

His brother Tim had this to share:

What was supposed to be a joyous day ended up to be a disaster. in the night of 30 December my little brother died due to an epileptic seizure. We found him in the morning of December 31st. He was 22 years old.

He studied game and media technology at the university of Utrecht in the Netherlands which was his passion and his joy. One of favorite pastimes was participating in the Ludum Dare. His online persona was Doctor Broccoli. His real name was Koen van Katwijk. I’ll fondly remember the moments where he would work day and night to make sure he would be able to submit something to his standards and he was willing to give himself a massive jetlag just for the Ludum Dare (“Silly Americans with their different time”).

He never settled for something that did not reach his desired standards.

His fascinations were with procedurally generated content and fancy looking (though often also quite simplistic) graphics. He didn’t care for sound (“I shouldn’t steal sounds from an open library and I can’t record sounds so somebody else should worry about that” he’d often say). He always strived to be unique and innovative. He never took the easy way out.

We will miss him dearly.

koen

Koen van Katwijk
Doctor Broccoli

2-7-1992 – 31-12-2014

Our dearest sympathies go out to his family during this difficult time.

16 Responses to “Obituary: Koen van Katwijk (Doctor Broccoli)”

1. voxel says:

Poor guy :( so young. We’ll see you at the gamejam in the sky <3

2. worldweirdthree says:

He’s going to share his passion up there <3
    Let's pray for him.

3. LegacyCrono says:

Wow, this is sad. My condolences to his family.

4. sweenist says:

This is terribly sad. My thoughts go to his family at this time. Death is no respecter of anyone regardless of our talents and goodness. We can just make the most with the time we think we have.

5. alvarop says:

Rest in peace. My thoughts go to his family and friends.

6. little-burrito says:

My deep condolences to his family and friends. He sounds like a person who spread a lot of joy. Rest in piece, all too soon.

7. Benjamin says:

I totally remember his entry on the evolution theme LD : The Amazing Adventure of Magenta-Man
    In my gameplay notes I had the project to use his “skills bundle” mechanic for a roguelike. Now I really want to do it, parts of him are in these games and they will live forever.

8. feiss says:

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

9. Christina Nordlander says:

I am sorry beyond measure for Koen and his family. He sounds like he was an amazing person, and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

10. So young. So sad. My condolences to his brother and his family – be strong.

11. joppiesaus says:

Doctor Broccoli is dead. :(
    I’m a sad now, because now I see he had some awesome games(and ideas) that I never saw before. I think it would’ve been a nice guy.
    Good luck to the people who are also sad because of his dead.
    *sigh* such is life.

12. JBJblaze says:

Prayers and condolences be with he and his family. God bless.

13. SonnyBone says:

Man, that really sucks. I never met the dude, but I have a strong connection to anyone that does multiple Ludum Dare compos because I feel like we’ve shared so many of the same experiences. We’re on different sides of the world but we’re doing the same thing for the same reason at the same time. It’s magical. It’s so fuckin’ magical. My condolences to his friends and family. :(

14. udo says:

Damn, so sorry to hear this. There is nothing to say that makes it better, but at least he got to do some really awesome things during his the short time. I remember now that he once rated a game of mine, but I never played any of his. I’m going honor him by playing his stuff right now :(

15. Jed T. says:

Rest in peace, Koen here’s +1 ludum dare heart for you.