Made it

Posted by
December 7th, 2014 7:49 pm

Once again I’m almost a little surprised that I managed to get things finished in time.  Much of the credit goes to the makers of the very awesome Phaser.js, which pretty much did exactly what I told it every time – which actually isn’t as common among libraries as you might think!  Any bits of time I lost were from silly mistakes I made in coding (and there were several), or weird bugs in other software (I’m looking at you, Gimp!) – but largely all went pretty smoothly.  I even managed to get the time to leave the house twice…

My game started out as a sort of a Gauntlet thing, but due to the odd structure of it (a sort of ever-changing maze on the one screen) it became clear at about the half-way point that I wasn’t going to be able to get that to work in time.  I turned it into a fairly simple little puzzle game, and I think it turned out pretty well.  I had enough game mechanics to keep play going for a little while, and could’ve made a few more levels if I’d had the time, but it’s probably enough as is.

I didn’t get time to polish things to make a more well-rounded experience, such as adding menus, game restarting, and other such bits – and there’s no music – but never mind.  Other things I was going to do included improving the animations (you can’t see much changing in the up/down player movement), adding water splash and rock rolling effects, making the charge only last for a limited time, and adding some hints to explain what to do.  Never mind.

If you get a chance to have a play, let me know what you think!

"Clockwise" screen shot


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]