So you think the theme is awful?

Posted by (twitter: @tolicious)
December 6th, 2014 6:46 am
Do you feel like doing this?

Do you feel like doing this?

Is it not even a real theme to you, just a technical restriction? Does it not inspire you even one tiny bit?

That’s fine.

Yeah, I just said that. It’s fine! Because I am sure there is another theme you really liked in the last voting round. No, don’t tell me, I want to be surprised later – just think of it really, really hard.

• Artificial Life
  • You Canโ€™t Stop
  • Color is Everything
  • Playing Both Sides
  • Borders
  • Chaos
  • Deja vu

You’re thinking of it? Great! I hereby invite you to take this favourite theme of yours and brainstorm with THAT as the core instead of “Entire Game on One Screen”.

So, what about the actual theme, you might ask? Just use it as what it is: A technical restriction. You can be inspired by whatever theme you want to, as long as “Entire Game on One Screen” still applies.

Good luck with your new shiny theme!

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “So you think the theme is awful?”

1. Zolkren says:

I really wanted it to be deep space.
    oh well, atleast the current theme gives you tons of options for your ideas.

• TobiasW says:

Yeah, I can see how that would be hard to fit on. Best of luck anyway! (And remember, you can always ignore the theme and just make any fun game you’d like to – it’s much better than quitting. Who cares about a high theme score anyway?)

2. DancingDovaaah3 says:

Heh. People around here are crazy.

3. joppiesaus says:

Yeah. You’ve a good point. I don’t feel motivated at all for this theme… But I won’t fail like the last time!
    I’m cloning/making a spin-off of bomberman now. Everything is on one screen, and what you see is what you get, there won’t be anything more.

I thought: “It’s better to finish a game that’s not really awesome in some way rather than not doing it because it’s not awesome”
    I wish I could see this post earlier, that’d be the push to do another idea, but I’m way to far now.

Yeah. I feel empty, not motivated. These themes look awesome. At least I learned, that’s what “mistakes” are about to me.

Thanks for doing this. Good luck!

• TobiasW says:

Well, now you have a strategy for the next time it happens! And if I’ve learnt anything while doing Dares, it’s that even the blandest of concepts can evolve into something really fun if you just continue working on it and keep a playful and experimental attitude. Best of luck!

4. klianc09 says:

YES I HATE THE THEME. But yes, I’m going to make a game god dammit!

5. doos says:

@TobiasW I had an idea where you’re staring at the main viewscreen of the starship enterprise and have to run the ship from the bridge.. Kind of fits the theme, hehe.. :)

6. CScribes says:

Awesome idea ๐Ÿ˜€ I don’t find the theme too bad but, agree this is a great strategy to motivate yourself!!’