Randomized puzzle generator progress

Posted by (twitter: @zanzlanz)
December 6th, 2014 11:00 pm

Hey!

This was going to be my second time in a row missing Ludum Dare since I started, in LD24… because I received a ton homework to do this weekend (it’s my first semester at university :D).

But I ended up making something interesting anyway!

I basically made a random puzzle generator with the simple mechanic of dashing/sliding in each direction. The difficulty of each level is quantifiable. In fact, the blue square is positioned in the hardest spot to land in the entire level, each time 😉

Latest version, and older placeholder version:

Random puzzle level generator. Placeholder version

I’ve gotten genuinely stuck on some of the harder levels it generated. Perfect! I love a good challenge! >:3

So anyway, maybe I’ll make it into something worth submitting by the end of Monday. I have a plan, but it’s a lot to do in the time I have available with school and all.

Good luck, everyone! I like what you’re making 😀

– Zanz

7 Responses to “Randomized puzzle generator progress”

1. se1by says:

I’d love to see the code! How do you make sure that every level is solvable? My first idea would be to generate the path first and add walls randomly, but that could ease the levels.

• Zanzlanz says:

I’m not sure how doing it that way would work out! Without attention to all the other directions you could go, the puzzle wouldn’t be able to generate the hardest path possible. Basically I do it the opposite – I generate a noisy level, and have the program solve it using brute force. Kind of like A* pathfinding, I think? Then if the level isn’t hard enough, it’ll try again 😀

2. Starspell says:

I’m really interested in this one too. I look forward to playing it!

3. LeftRight92 says:

I am mad jelly of your level generation coding skills.

• Zanzlanz says:

XD Oh c’mon, haha! I’ve been highly interested in block-based level generation for nearly 4 years now, so I know a lot of the little tricks. But honestly this level generator is actually pretty simple once you know the concept! I’ll write a Ludum Dare post about how it works tomorrow (edit… well today- but after I wake up, haha). Thanks!

4. Zanzlanz says:

Oh no! Sorry for not getting back to you three, sooner! I totally forgot I posted this! @se1by @Starspell @LeftRight92 :)