October Challenge 2014

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
September 29th, 2014 3:51 am

As September comes to a close, it’s time to kick off the October Challenge 2014!

The October Challenge is a special event Ludum Dare started four years ago. The purpose: Just as Ludum Dare encourages you to make game, the October Challenge encourages you to sell a game. Or put another way:

Finish a game — Take it to market — Earn $1

That is your goal. That is the October Challenge.

[ Submit/Edit | View All ]

Disregard all the usual Ludum Dare rules (no restrictions). Finish any game you previously made during a game jam, something else you’ve been working on, or heck, something entirely new. Your goal, if you choose to accept it, is to not only make something, but to finish it and do everything necessary to start earning money from it. That’s all. No specific rules or platforms. Make good on that goal or promise to start selling games.

Finish your game before November 1st, and submit it to your respected market. That is the challenge. And once you earn your $1, you’ve won! Easy as that. You’re now a pro.

I’d like to invite everyone to share resources and discuss markets, business models, advertising, and anything related to making that $1. I’ve collected a list of marketplaces, vendor services, and even some opportunities you can take advantage of over here:

October 2014 Resources and Opportunities

If you need a place to start, you can check out this guide I wrote for our first event. Selling games isn’t just finishing it, but there is often paperwork and fees to take care of, and those take time. Do them early to make the most of your time.

Also, do share your progress on your upcoming game with us here on the site.

I’ve posted a few FAQ answers in the comments, so look below. Good luck everyone!

34 Responses to “October Challenge 2014”

1. PoV says:

* * * * * FAQ * * * * *

Q: Do I need to earn my $1 in the month of October?
    A: Nope! The goal of the challenge is to take all the steps necessary to finally earn money from a game. And when you earn your $1, whenever that is, you win.

Q: Does my game have to be a Ludum Dare or Gamejam game?
    A: Nope! It can be something you’ve been working on outside of Gamejams. Like Ludum Dare, we run the challenge in hope that having a shared deadline encourages more of us to finish.

Q: Can I earn more than $1?
    A: Yes, we hope you do! Rather than aiming for “Minecraft Money”, we recommend starting small. Because $1 comes before $10 comes before $100 comes before $1000 and so on.

Q: I’ve been working on a game for weeks or months prior to the Challenge. Can I participate too?
    A: Absolutely! The more the merrier.

Q: Can I work in a team?
    A: Yes, absolutely! Work with as many people (or as few) as you like.

Q: Do I need to release source code?
    A: Nope! :)

2. oobie says:

Man this is good! Do I just submit my game to this site as a way for people on this site to go and buy it? Where ever I have put it to be sold.

3. PoV says:

Also sorry, no Keynote. I made one, even stayed up all night to finish, but I’m not happy with it. There’s too many important videos on the blog right now. It really did not seem appropriate.

Sorry folks!

4. grifdail says:

I’m in !
    I have a game to finish and I want to make some money out of it. This challenge look like the perfect chance to do it!

Is it ok, if we earn the money not by selling the game but with In-app-purchasse, donation or avertissement ?

5. joppiesaus says:

This might be fun.
    I am living outside the US and I am not over 18 years old. Do I need to submit paperwork? Like tax, and the W-8BEN, or can I just upload it to itch.io and that’s it?

6. sclark39 says:

I’m in. Currently thinking I may try to bring either One Ninja (LD28) or Fetch Quest (LD25) to market. Need to do a bit of design thinking on how to flesh out each and what work would be required to bring to market. One Ninja would probably be easier but it did get lower ratings, although I wonder if that’s just because I ran out of time to really add in the game mechanics.

One Ninja: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-28/?action=preview&uid=15443
    Fetch Quest: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-25/?action=preview&uid=15443

7. echo85 says:

Hi everyone! I’d like to add that I’m organizing a parallel game dev contest “Games 4 Doge” during the same month (October 2014) so you may be interested to enter as well. The prizes go to games that use Dogecoin in some way. See games4doge.pw for details, and contact me at echo85 at gmail dot com with any questions or suggestions. Thanks 😀

8. Hopefully I’ll use this challenge as motivation to actually finish off some of the games I’ve begun this year!

I have 1..2…3…4 games which just need that push to get them finished. How did that happen eh?

Probably worth mentioning that it’s free to set-up an OUYA or Gamestick developer account for those interested in pushing games out to micro consoles :)

9. zulman says:

Hi. Here is revenue-growth-wisdom-exchange community for russian speaking audience for this #OctoberChallenge :)

10. michi says:

Last year on first of October I started to work on a prototype for the October challenge. After one month I had a stable prototype with a lot of the mechanics in it, but the game was in no shape to be released. I then teamed up with an artist and a sound designer and now, one year later we are about to soft launch our little game project. We haven’t made much yet, but we are pretty sure we’ll earn at least 1$ when the game is in the store :)
    Our game is called Blockadillo (http://www.blockadillo.com) and is about smashing colored blocks with an color changing armadillo! To progress through the levels you have to smash all colored blocks while your controls are limited to steer only left and right, the armadillo bounces up and down by itself the whole time!
    Just wanted to share this (my) story with you! Keep on making games! Yey!

11. coderfap says:

Just finished a five level demo of my box2d JavaScript game. Was going to leave at that but this competition has inspired me to finish it. I also hope to blog about the problems (and solutions) of building it.
    find it under tower block builder under the unfinished entries.
    coderfap

12. oscarmbp says:

I love all you are doing(Ludum Dare Staff/Community) it is quite nice to be part of such a great enviroment where you can see so many people strive for the same goal in so many creative&different ways. It excites me(even though i have not done even 1 game) to see people go through this challenges and come up with games that are better grounded than the “tiple A’s” (quotation marks because in my mind “Triple A” games are mostly garbage)

13. AncientAvocado says:

Well, I have never tried to *sell* a game,so this’ll be an interesting challenge for me! I have been playing around with a prototype of a worm fighting game in Unity, even at this stage it feels quite fun to play :)
    Anyways, once I’m finished (hopefully late at this month) ,I was going to try get my game to Humble Store. Is this a good idea, or are there better ways to sell my game on pc with such a short notice? Other place I considered was Good Old Games. What are your opinions and suggestions on this topic?

Thanks,
    Ancient Avocado

14. solidplasma says:

Well, seeing as I was planning on releasing my longest standing unreleased project by the end of this month anyway, this seems like the perfect opportunity to do so. My goal is to release a version I’m happy with on itch.io by the end of the month, and if that takes off, eventually revamp it and put it on steam. Here’s the trailer (Which is currently slightly outdated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_24h_0Aec

15. I’m in! 😀 My LD30 game has earned >$2 from ad revenue on gamejolt, but I won’t count that. Have a bigger project that I’d really like the extra motivation to get finished soon. It’s on, October!

16. Dennis says:

Thinking about trying to make and sell a small game. For some reason I think making that first dollar is really difficult. Would it be cheating if I did not actually upload it to any real market and tried to “sell” it directly via a “pay what you want”(including nothing) paypal button? (Already trying that though not with anything I made recently.)

17. DavidErosa says:

Oh, I published my LD28 game a few months ago on itch.io and now it’s on Greenlight. Does it count? :)

18. G_O_R_D says:

Glad to say my October Challenge was a success. Made a game, stuck it up, got a sale! http://gordgames.itch.io/spell-casting-101

19. madmarcel says:

I’ve published my game on gamejolt. I’ve made $0.03 so far! Woohoo.

20. rudra says:

Just a problem…. when I upload a screenshot , (png format, size 1.37 MB) it gives an error

Warning: filesize(): stat failed for /home/ludum/public_html/compo/wp-content/plugins/compo2/../../compo2/394584/42948-shot0.jpg in /home/ludum/public_html/compo/wp-content/plugins/compo2/compo2.php on line 174

Warning: getimagesize(/home/ludum/public_html/compo/wp-content/plugins/compo2/../../compo2/394584/42948-shot0.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ludum/public_html/compo/wp-content/plugins/compo2/compo2.php on line 178

how to get over it ? Please Help

21. TannerHowell says:

If anyone is looking for any compositional work done to your game, email me at 13tannerhowell@gmail.com!

my work is at soundcloud.com/Tanner_Howell

22. pinkushn says:

Thanks for the nudge. After years of half-starts, I finally put a finished game on Google Play(“Filz”). Seemed weird to charge for it, since most apps are ‘free,’ but I actually made about $5 from my game (“Filz”).

23. mohammad says:

Well i’m dead.
    Whats new, other than the new thumbnail PoV?

24. dweebster says:

Fun challenge :)

Forced me to move a bit quicker than I was planning. Made $4.25 in October on #Boiiing