Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

MiniLD – The 53rd Edition

Posted by (twitter: @F0lis)
July 6th, 2014 2:40 pm

It’s over! 61 entries!

Thanks everyone for coming out and making games! Now go play and give feedback to each other! It’ll be fun and games! (Literally)

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time for:

Mini Ludum Dare – 53rd Edition!

Two years ago I signed up to host this one shortly after hosting the 36th one. Since then a lot happened: I hosted various personal game jams and started working on a hosting solution for them.

And now I am here and it is once again time to do a MiniLD like there is no tomorrow! Are you ready for it? I do hope so.

When is it?

Let’s get the basic facts out of the way. Here’s a table when it starts, and when it ends. All times are UTC, just so you know.

Starts on Sat, July 19th – 12 a.m. (00:00)
Ends on Mon, July 21st – 12 a.m. (00:00)

As you may notice, that’s the regular 48 hour time frame. With this you should be well prepared for next month’s regular Ludum Dare!

What’s the theme?

You’re one of those business-y people, eh? Alright, alright. Here goes the theme in all it’s glory! The theme is..

The future is now

You may interpret this however you want to. It doesn’t matter if the theme fits with the gameplay, or if you make a game for the Oculus Rift (or a similar device). Just show us where the future we all dream about is already available!

General rule set

The rules are slightly more relaxed than a regular Ludum Dare. I won’t enforce them, as I believe in the honor system. If you say you followed the rules, you did. Simple as that.

• You have 48 hours of time
  • You may start your game before the designated time. Just stop working on it after 48 hours.
  • Source code is not needed, but feel free to add it if you want.
  • You may work in teams.

And that’s all the rules.

Where do I submit?

That one is simple enough. Here! I would’ve loved to use my own jam system, but it’s just not ready yet.

You can find a submit link below this paragraph. This can be used to submit your game according to regular Ludum Dare guidelines.

[ Browse | Submit ]

And that’s it! I’m looking forward to seeing what all of you create! If you have any more questions, feel free to poke me on Twitter or in IRC under the nick Folis.

Tags:

58 Responses to “MiniLD – The 53rd Edition”

1. Vidd says:

Interesting theme. It’s given me a couple of ideas.

A pity that the weekend is the Dota 2 international 4 finals!

2. Newt_ says:

Awesome! I’ve never participated in a Mini LD before, so I have two questions about rules.
    1) do we have to include source?
    2) can we start before the designated 48 hours?

3. gandalf1209 says:

I was SO GONNA DO THIS!!!! I have a freaking wedding to go to, and then we have people coming over, so I don’t have the time!!!! GAHH!!!!!!11

4. codevinsky says:

Do the 48 hours have to be consecutive?

That is, if I start on my game, say, today at noon, do I have to be done with it by Saturday at noon?

or

Can I work on it for 48 hours split up amongst the next week and a half?

5. LoneWorm says:

Hi there, I just signed up cause I seen this Mini Ludum. I would take some time in the week to make something, it is exactly what I was searching for.
    Thank you so much!

6. Danisuper says:

Can the game be set in a futuristic world,not necessarily as i dream or it musts be about the future we dream?
    (sorry for bad english)

7. The Potato Boss says:

Can I use models/textures that are publicly available on sites such as Turbosquid?

8. The Potato Boss says:

Also can I use the default animations for characters Included in Unity3d?

9. Gravity Games says:

Are we allowed to use premade engines that we’ve made. In case it changes anything, its a general purpose engine (as in, not specifically for platformers or RPGs, etc.), and most of the code is related to OpenGLES 2.0 rendering.

• Folis says:

Yep, feel free to use any of your own libs, engines and next big game making tools!
      If you want it would be cool to declare the exact code base beforehand, but I won’t require it.

Sharing is caring and such. ;)

10. I’m completely new to Ludum Jams and game Jams in general. But don’t let that put you off! I’m up for Mini LD #53

I’m here to get involved offering music and sound design to any team that wants it. Unfortunately I cannot code but I think I can just about get around UDK in terms of implementation so I guess i’m not completely useless. Anyway if you want to stick out from the crowd and have wicked sound design and music in super tight time frame I will give it a go!

Check out my Showreel: http://www.soundcloud.com/super-audio-brains.

11. this is my first actual ludum dare, and ive just realized how little imagination i have. o Well, NASA building a Death Star counts as futuristic, right?

12. Hey,
    I’m a bit new so please don’t mind me asking…
    What do you actually get for winning in the MiniLD? Because I believe it was just good for marketing if you won the LD Compo so is there any difference?
    -Thank-you. ;)

13. eemmbbeerr says:

Can we start slightly after the time you wrote up there? I have a relative’s birthday then so… just keep it in 48 hours, right?

14. JetLennit says:

Out of curiosity, can you use a previously made support class? I had a gravity class I made a while back and I wasn’t sure if I could use that. If not, may I look at the code and reprogram it?

15. Gravity Games says:

Oh, I forgot to ask, the engine I have is for android devices. I’d be working on the Ouya version first, with an android version being ported if possible (hopefully without annoying onscreen buttons that don’t work…). How many of you guys actually have Ouyas?

16. tokw says:

Hey i’m confused i thought game jams were 72 hours?

• leffe108 says:

This Mini is 48 hours, but it is relaxed in terms that you can start earlier or later as well as splitting your hours over more days, as long as you don’t work for more than 48 hours. You can see this if you read through the previous comments.

17. Stals says:

We definitely will be participating – making hopefully something cool with Unity and also for the first time trying to jam in a coworking place in Moscow (http://www.goodrepublic.ru/)

18. pancakecity says:

Me and my partner are starting our game tomorrow. It’s nice to be able to split up the 48 hours like this.

I’m happy to be participating in this jam as I have previous obligations during the next Ludum Dare :(

Seeing how this coincides with Insanity Jam, will anyone develop a submission for both? I’m considering it, as the Insanity Jam theme generator gave me one that meshes eerily well with the miniLD one…

19. Newt_ says:

I’ve been reading through previous comments, but I would like a bit of clarification. Will we still be allowed to submit our games after the deadline of 12 AM on the 21st (as long as our game was made under 24 hours)?

• Folis says:

You should try to get your game in by July 21st, but if you really, really can’t make it due to personal reasons, I’ll still allow you to submit. Just catch me on Twitter or IRC and talk to me. :)

20. 0bl1v1on says:

Can’t wait to see everyone’s creations this weekend! This will be my first LD (even though it is Mini), so it should be interesting. See everyone around the site! :)

21. arhpositive says:

Well, been a while since my last game jam challenge, and I’ve got an open weekend, so I’m going to try this one.

Let’s hope everything goes well.

22. sebb says:

I r game! :D

I don’t have 48 hours tho so i will make something very short tho.

23. jitendragarg says:

I am on time for the compo, and have a great theme too!!!!!! Yay!

24. Doomista says:

Well, this is my first LD, so I hope it will not be total disaster ;) And theme is good enough, I am currently working on my very old and quite crazy idea, so hold on!

25. “Linux and graphics is a not so nice thing” … you’re serious?

26. Doomista says:

I displayed older MiniLD’s and I cannot find judge results for the latest ones. Does that mean that MiniLD’s are not judged anymore?

27. tokw says:

Is there a way to edit my entry just the description

28. Gravity Games says:

…of course I’m too late for the grace period because of lwjgl…of course… Well, guess I just wasted 48 hours of my life…

29. eemmbbeerr says:

Thanks for organizing this miniLD!
    I really tried to make my first alone-in-48-hours game but I decided to make a new collision engine because the previous ones sucked.
    Guys, some advice for the future: do not make new collision engines in 48 hours if you can avoid it. Not if you have never made a good enough one before :)
    It was good fun anyway!

30. The Potato Boss says:

Awww Crap! I ran out of time >:(

31. dugoutaz says:

How do i edit my entry my download link is broken and i need to make another

32. AlexDocking says:

i tried submitting yesterday and just now but the submit link doesn’t do anything. how do i submit?