what shall we do with MiniLD 51?

Posted by (twitter: @_sorceress)
May 21st, 2014 12:49 pm

This month’s miniLD was due to be hosted by sfernald.

Problem is, he isn’t around! He hasn’t been active on this site since last year, and he has not (yet) replied to our two attempts to contact him. :(

So… what shall we do with the miniLD?

There are only 10 days left in this month, so if we are going to do something it will have to be this coming weekend (24th-25th May).

• Option 1. We could wait, and hope that sfernald comes.
  • Option 2. We could all put our heads together and come up with a theme and rules between us.
  • Option 3. Back in 2008 our admin PoV hosted one of the first miniLDs, and chose the ‘Tool Jam’, where instead of games, the objective was to make game dev utilities, that might be useful in future game jams. I think it would be nice to repeat this at some point, since we have a much larger user-base now.
  • Option 4. We could offer the miniLD to the person booked for June/July. This tends to be messy as it doesn’t fill the gap, it just moves the gap. People might also have their heart set on certain months to align with some events and don’t particularly want to move, etc.
  • Option 5. We could give the miniLD to someone else, which may or may not annoy those who have been waiting up to 2 years in the queue.

Post your thoughts/ideas below, and remember we have to come up with something before the weekend!

edit: A majority has spoken! We’re doing the Tool Jam.

25 Responses to “what shall we do with MiniLD 51?”

1. rxi says:

I’m in favour of option 3. Given the innovative games people seem to come up with during the jam, it’d be interesting to see the kind of innovative tools people manage to make when given an excuse to!

2. Tosic says:

Ok, this is a problem, here’s what I think about every possible solution offered:
    1) this is the only thing we can actually do, but no, we can’t just sit there

2) for me, this is the best solution, but we have no time, or do we?

3) no, I’m not sure, I want to be in ld events but its still new to me and i want to make a game

4) NO, too messy

5) Maybe we could givenit to someone, maybe, imagine, you!

3. JimmyBoh says:

I’m really liking the sound of option 3 as well. It’d be pretty great to produce some new and efficient game dev tools!

4. PoV says:

PoV’s too busy to host MiniLD’s (remember, he nearly wanted to kill them). :)

5. udo says:

U1) Let the person who “won” LD29 with best overall score choose the theme.

U2) Alternatively, let’s collect some ideas right in this thread and vote for them.

U3) Move the person who was due this time to the very back of the queue. Email everyone in the queue and see if someone volunteers for this month.

By the way, how do people get into this queue anyway?

• sorceress says:

let’s collect some ideas right in this thread and vote for them.

Yes do suggest theme ideas :) Even if we go with another option, or even if sfernald shows up in the end, we can feel confident moving forward having this theme list at hand, just in case.

6. dylanigan says:

Option 3 is good, but I volunteer to organize MiniLD 51 :)

7. Photon says:

Perhaps it should be some sort of impromptu/improv “themed” jam. How that would work though… I’m really not sure. 😛

8. sealfin says:

My ‘votes’ are as follows:

* Option 4/5 – Offer mLD #51 to the person after sfernald in the queue (or the person after that person if they declined, ad infinitum);

* select at random a theme from the unused themes from the last round of voting from LD #29;

* option 3.

9. dylanigan says:

This just came to me. What about a MiniLD where the theme is “For The Good Of All Of Us”. It could be anything that benefits the world such as a helpful game dev tool or some sort of game that makes the world a better place. The game could be ad-based and all profits would go to charity or a tool could be made that would help people get into video game development or make game dev easier. This is just my forty-two cents on this so ignore this if it’s bad or leave a reply with your input. -dylanigan

10. WhiteWolf93 says:

I think option 3 is fine, btw some of us don’t have experience with dev tools, but it would be kinda fun.

11. TobiasW says:

How about making a game for a theme that you REALLY wanted to win, but that didn’t? Or for an LD that you missed, but when you heard about it, you would’ve loved to make something for the theme? Some sort of “The Game That Could’ve Been Made” miniLD.

12. NeiloGD says:

I like this option.

I also like one of the mods just picking something rather than handing it to someone else.

13. Dezzles says:

I’m all in favour of the Tool Jam!

14. sirikan says:

Yeah tool jam sounds good.

15. ForeseenParadox says:

I’m for the tool jam.

16. sorceress says:

The majority want the Tool Jam. So that’s what we’ll do :)

I’d love if PoV made the announcement post for this, since it was his thing originally. But if he doesn’t feel up to it, then I will.