Posted by (twitter: @priorblue)
May 1st, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi,

i just want to show you my simple sprite generation tool, which i created a while ago. Maybe you can use it for a future Ludum Dare or just as an source of inspiration. 😀 You can’t save at the moment, so you have to take a screenshot. I will implement this feature in the next release.

Download: https://github.com/PriorBlue/Simple-Sprite-Generator/releases

Source: https://github.com/PriorBlue/Simple-Sprite-Generator/tree/master/love2d

Screenshots:

Standard generation:
screen02
Glow:
screen03
Borders/Bloom:
screen04
Gameboy colors:
screen05

The License is under MIT so you you can do what you want with the source.

Have fun!

23 Responses to “”

1. Rad Star says:

Looks great, bookmarking it for later use for sure!

2. Geckoo1337 says:

Very cool. THX ++

3. bussiere says:

F*** Awsome, i’ve got this sprite from your generator and i love it :

BTW if you could comment your code please, in would like to understand how you have done this, and i would love to port it to libgdx.

Thks

4. bussiere says:

thks i see it better

number o cycle or you repeat a pattern ?

And how do manage the initial cell ?

thks for the answer

5. runvs says:

Hi there, you tool looks great an i would like to try it. unfortunately there is an error:

Error: Cannot link shader program object:
    Fragment info
    ————-
    0(14) : error C6013: Only arrays of texcoords may be indexed in this profile, an
    d only with a loop index variable

stack traceback:
    [C]: in function ‘newShader’
    lib/postshader.lua:36: in main chunk
    [C]: in function ‘require’
    main.lua:1: in main chunk
    [C]: in function ‘require’
    [string “boot.lua”]:360: in function
    [C]: in function ‘xpcall’

6. Jerre says:

Nice idea, with mirroring cellular automatons, would you be able to make a osx/unix/web build?

7. loxo says:

Interesting tool, I tried the no-shader version and got the following error:

Error: main.lua:19: Cannot create canvas: Error in implementation. Possible fix:
    Make canvas width and height powers of two.
    stack traceback:
    [C]: in function ‘newCanvas’
    main.lua:19: in function ‘load’
    [string “boot.lua”]:407: in function
    [C]: in function ‘xpcall’

• PriorBlue says:

Ah ok, your pc don’t support a texture resolution of 800×600, it should be fixed by now.

• loxo says:

Thanks for the changes, but now I get an even worse error message:
        Error: main.lua:19: Cannot create canvas: Not supported by your OpenGL implement
        ation.
        stack traceback:
        [C]: in function ‘newCanvas’
        main.lua:19: in function ‘load’
        [string “boot.lua”]:407: in function
        [C]: in function ‘xpcall’

It looks like my computer isn’t able to run your tool. I will try to find another one to test it.

8. Catman says:

Awesome! While using BFXR during the jam, I thought about doing something like it for sprites, and here you just did! Good job! I’d like to extend it to a palette of colours to create monsters for roguelikes. If I find the time, I think I’ll do that. :)

9. GrooveMan says:

Wow, what a neat tool. I’ll definitely find a way to make use of this in future.

10. bussiere says:

Sorry to annoy you again but whereand how do you manage the initial cells ?

(i will try nex week to port it on libgdx and i will make a pull).

Thks for the answer. I think that there should be a category for the jam of tools created during the jam :)

• PriorBlue says:

Just initialize an array and fill him with random pixels (rand(0,1)), after that you just have to perform the cellular automatons.

11. bussiere says:

i will try to add svg export :) thks for the answers