Into the Inferno

April 18th, 2014 7:00 pm

I’m IN, part two! In Part One, I began the I’m In posts (FIRST!), established my persona and idiosyncrasies, shamelessly plugged my domain name, and asserted the dawning of a new era! Sixth LD here we come!

My Tools:

• CODE: Lua + LÖVE in Notepad++. My basecode can be found here, a collection of community libraries. It’s got lots of cool stuff in it that brings me up to par of Flixel users, but it’s not quite ready to use yet. I’m still working on getting it together. EDIT(4/20): It’s pretty much ready to use now. =) Still haven’t added Spriter support, but I’ll get to it.
  • GRAPHICS: Paint.net, possibly Photoshop. BIG NEWS: I’m going to use Spriter, if I can get it to work. And BIGGER NEWS, my pen tablet! EDIT: I’ll probably try using AutoTileGen.
  • SOUND: Aria Maestosa for music. (S/B)FXR for sfx, and my laptop’s mic. Audacity, for everything.
  • DESIGN: Pen, paper, the font of eternal inspiration (internet), and Tiled for tiles. Yes, I do still hate Tiled.
  • STREAM: Open Broadcaster Software and my twitch.

My Goals:

1. Make something weird. I hate making games that are the same as tons of other games, but when I try to do something irregular, my thoughts turn to making something “cool.” Making something cool, though, is not the right way to think about it. It just leads me to try to be better than everyone else, and takes me away from making something FUN, which should be the goal. Making something “weird” seems to be the better way to think about it.
  2. Make it juicy. I got reminded of that big juiciness presentation on grapefrukt’s site, so I figured, why not follow some of its advice? And even more importantly, the advice of this.
  3. Explore my design space. You know, insert as much coolness as I can within the constraints of my idea. I mean, there’s only 48 hours, but what I’m trying to say is that I’m going to try stuff. New Cool Weird stuff.
  4. Minimize combat. The fact that 90% of the games in the world involve combat is lame and restricts the art, man. We can do so much more, and I intend to. (Other things that restrict the art, man include realism, goals, standardized controllers, and F2P.)
  5. Tell a story. I feel like my best talents are in the realm of storytelling, and yet, my entries never tell stories. (Okay, one did, but said story was admittedly terrible.) I’m going to try to have a stronger focus on characters and writing this time.
  6. Save time for aesthetic. Graphics and music are important parts of the game that I often leave for the end. I’ll shuffle my normal schedule around to get them done earlier, I think.

I will ignore all the goals above as required.

So, I’m thinking tomorrow or Sunday (probably Sunday), I’ll start streaming some warmup action. I’ll probably code myself an intro and maybe a small game. I’ll keep you guys updated! UPDATE (4/20): Maybe tomorrow.

P.S. Good luck to everyone, especially the newbies! I like to say that without them, the Ludum Dare wouldn’t be the Ludum Dare. Which is why I just did.

7 Responses to “Into the Inferno”

1. Pitzik4 says:

If you’re going to make a story-focused game, I would recommend doing so when you can utilize the full length of the Jam. Not to assume you can’t this time, but I learned this the hard way in LD28 when I tried to tell a story in 48 hours and ended up, well, succeeding, actually, although it was a short story, but sacrificing interesting gameplay mechanics and level design, i.e. fun.

• Tim Bumpus says:

I’m thinking I’m just going to have the gameplay revolve more around characters this time, as a necessity. That way, the gameplay IS the story, so I’m not sacrificing any time.

I also feel like drawing some motion comic-y cutscenes, animatic-y, maybe. I’m not the best artist, but I think I might be able to get a lot out of that.

I’m looking through your LD entries, by the way– you’ve scored WAY higher than I have. Ah, well, in time, in time. ;=) I’m going to play the one you said is like Test Subject Blue now. I love Nitrome.

2. Katamori says:

Hey, I just checked that beyont the basic “love.update(dt)” and stuff like that, you made a custom “menu.update(dt)”-esque set of basic functions in menu.lua – how does it work and how does it differ from the functions in main.lua?

• Tim Bumpus says:

Well for starters, I’ll inform you that this was one of the things I was planning to entirely rearrange, so this answer is about to become inapplicable. But it’s all very simple and probably one of the most important things to learn when starting out.

Basically, you set up a bunch of different tables in their own files. menu = {}, game = {}, etc. Then, you set one as equal to “gamestate,” as in “gamestate = menu.” Then, you call “gamestate.update(dt)” in love.update, “gamestate.draw” in love.draw, “gamestate.keypressed(key)” in love.keypressed, and so on. When you want to change from the menu to the game, you just say “gamestate = game” and “gamestate.load,” and voila, different parts of the game.

They work the exact same way as the standard love callbacks, because in a way, they’re just an extension of those functions.

3. SnoringFrog says:

I should probably use some type of a code base for an LD eventually. Trying to assemble one now would be more insane that participating in this LD at all though, so oh well for now haha.

• Tim Bumpus says:

You’ve never used basecode? Dude, you can barely get anywhere without basecode! Use mine, if you want. It shouldn’t be too hard to pick up.

• SnoringFrog says:

Yeah, I think it’s mostly due to the fact that I still have no idea what I’m doing (in a few ways).

I usually don’t get any time to devote to LD before that actual weekend (and based on all my “I’m in” posts, I don’t even have time then haha), so I pretty much do not touch gamedev outside of the LD weekend. Couple that with how I jump around to different languages/tools (I think my record number of games made with a single language/tool so far is 2) and coming up with a codebase I’m familiar with pretty much doesn’t happen.

Not using base code at least keeps me learning two to actually do this stuff though, so I think I’m gonna stick with my nothing this time around. Once I get more of a handle on how I actually like doing things (and, hopefully, find a tool I actually like sticking with), I might finally start to put my own together. Thanks though :)