Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

Warmup Weekend – Ludum Dare 29

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
April 16th, 2014 11:39 am

Are you psyched for Ludum Dare 29? Yeah! Are you ready for Ludum Dare 29? No!?? Then between now and Ludum Dare 29′s start time, you’re encouraged to test your tools. We call it Warmup Weekend (but we don’t mind if you’re early or late). Make some art, import it, and draw it on screen. Make some sounds, import them, and play them on cue. If you’re using a new development tool, figure out the development cycle. Learn how to make a release too!

Bullet point summary:

• No rules or limits. This is practice.
  • Learn your development tools! Write some code, run it.
  • Make some art, get it on screen, make it move.
  • Print some text to the screen. Print some text to a log (if applicable).
  • Make some sound, get it in game, make it play.
  • If you’re motivated enough, make your experiments in to a game!
  • Make something that should take “hours”, not 2 days.
  • Then package it up, put it online.
  • No time or day limit. But if you have no other plans this weekend, why not?

If you like what you’ve done, feel free to share it.

[ Submit Here | View all Warmup Games ]

11 Responses to “Warmup Weekend – Ludum Dare 29”

1. WhiteWolf93 says:

This is a nice idea for those that are impatient to start in the LD29 :3, maybe i submit something this week :P

2. laaph says:

I want to start now… but I am supposed to be at work!

3. Jiggawatt says:

Oh right, I’ve gotta find some time to finish this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75065952/abyss.html

It’s basically trying to be a “stress test” of my library, which I’ll be using for the first time in a jam environment in LD29. (It’s built on FlashPunk though so I can revert to its good old practices if something goes wrong.)

Just so it happens, making this warmup thingy made me figure out a clever way for my library to use state machines, which will come in handy.

4. KayZ says:

If you need a theme for your warmup, there is http://3hrgamejam.com/ with themes almost every day (only one theme on the weekend).

5. Chaoseed says:

I was going to ask for a theme, so thanks, KayZ. ;)

6. jerombd says:

Cool! I’m in! I hope I won’t spend too much time on this little gamejam: I’ll probably make a little interactive fiction engine on Construct 2.