Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

MiniLD #48

Posted by of Polygon Toys (twitter: @pekuja)
December 29th, 2013 10:05 pm

announcement

MiniLD 48 is over! A whopping 72 entries! You are all winners! Your prize: 72 brand new games! Thanks to everyone who participated! Exclamation! :D

We’re not going to have an official voting, but I highly recommend you check out the games and leave some comments. I hope I speak for all of us when I say feedback is always welcome.

If you didn’t get the chance to submit your game yet, let me know. I closed the submission, but I can reopen it if you started late or just needed some more hours to get your game done. Find me on IRC or send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Update: The theme! Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! Instead of just one word, I’m going to give you a few:

Themes

• facade
  • scheme
  • conspiracy
  • deceit

Feel free to use any number of the words. Feel free to take the words out of context.

Rules

• Make a game.
  • You have 48 hours of┬átime, on January 10th-12th. Don’t sweat it though. If you need a few extra hours, feel free to do that.
  • You can choose your starting time freely, but I recommend starting Friday night or Saturday morning in your own timezone.
  • You can work alone or in a team.
  • Feel free to use previously created assets, or freely available assets created by others.
  • You can use any tools available to you.
  • Have fun!

I’ll try to get a submission form up and running soon, and I’ll add a MiniLD48 category to the blog. I hope everybody has fun, and please join us on the #ludumdare IRC channel, tweet about your games with the #ld48 hashtag, tweet screenshots with the #screenshotsaturday hashtag, post stuff here on the blog, etc! :)

Tags: ,

148 Responses to “MiniLD #48”

1. Christina Nordlander says:

Damn but I hope “Demake” wins. I have the perfect idea for it.

2. jamcount says:

Theme Suggestion: Random Dynamicness
    (If that’s a word)

3. SK16Games says:

What is MineLD exactly? Is it the same as jam? If you know, please reply (I’m new at LD48)

4. jamcount says:

Demake is a good idea.

5. tommakesgames says:

Do we have to sign up anywhere in particular to show interest in miniLD? Or just submit something as we did for LD28? (my first mini – LD28 was my first Ludum Dare)

6. Guennor says:

If the chosne theme gets to be Demake, will we actually have to demake existing games?
    So if demake is chosen, we will not be able to make 100% original games? In terms of… not basing our games in another game…

• Guennor says:

Oops. Chosen*

• Arcadiax says:

It doesn’t have to be that obvious. It could be based around demaking stuff in-game, it’s never that black and white :P

• Guennor says:

I’ve read the explanations in here but I still don’t fully understand the concepts of demaking. I get that retro city rampage is somewhat a demake of modern GTA games, but what else can we do, creatively speaking, with demakes?

• nicklink483 says:

The Mini-LD is pretty lax, more lax even than the Jam. Just think of a Demake as making something that is inspired by or has some content from another game. Like, Mario in a first person shooter. Or The Legend of Zelda but completely different art and story and items and dungeons.

You don’t have to make a full-blown 16-bit version of Call of Duty: Black Ops, just kinda take an idea from somewhere and go with it. Or do anything in between!

• sorceress says:

In the most literal sense, it means porting an existing game to hardware that is one or more generations older, usually cutting some features in the process.

For us, it’s more of a style thing, because most of us don’t write software for older hardware.

eg, Take a modern game, and imagine if it were made circa 1990. What gameplay features would have to be cut? How would the visual style of the game need to be changed? You’d still want the game to be recognisable, despite being simplified by the limitations of: cpu and memory; small colour palette; small resolution; no 3D hardware; inability to have much animation, though screen scrolling is possible.

We can’t really create (recognisable) demakes of commercial games for copyright reasons though, so although the idea sounds fun, I fear it might be a bit anticlimactic. There nothing in the public domain that I’m interested in seeing a demake of.

7. Christina Nordlander says:

Thank you, Pekuja! Some very interesting themes here. I’m looking forward to it.

8. deathray says:

In my opinion 4 words makes it harder than 1! Hmm…

9. Driky says:

Is the blog for the mini LD the same one for the last LD ?

10. Shana says:

I have no ideas on these themes… :/.
    it will be difficult I think.

11. KumoKairo says:

I have a great idea!
    See If I will be able to bring it to life. Cause it’s…well…needs to be developed

12. gmfk07 says:

Woo! I just got hit over the head with the blunt end of a great idea, and I’m looking forward to making it this weekend :3

13. Guennor says:

But… Aren’t all the themes basically the same… thing?

14. adamwfindlay says:

Might have to get involved with this! Liking the sound of Conspiracy.

15. Oooh I just got the most exciting idea that will work great with all four words. Hope I have it in me to make that game this weekend.

16. jamcount says:

Now i finally got a team for the MiniLD 48.

17. Sethmaster says:

I am joining this one. Let’s see if the games I created is actually fun or not!

18. Come on guys!! Attend an event most sensational jam ^ ^

19. keyboardmonkey says:

I’m keen! Have an idea but my scope tends to be bigger than it should be ;) Good luck!

20. Kinda wanna join with some sweet idea I had for a while and seems to fit “deceit”. The project is quite demanding though, so it might take a bit more time.

21. Ditto says:

Wow, those are some cool themes, wish I had time to join this jam for the whole weekend, but I have so much stuff happening atm. If I get a couple hours over I’ll try to make something though! :D Best of luck to everyone who enters!

22. Done and dusted. Now for a glass of wine and checking out the other entries – Thanks MiniLD! You win one hundred internets today.

23. Guennor says:

How many time left?

• TheAxe says:

I would like to know aswell

• Guennor says:

I REALLY have to go to bed now. I gotta go to work tomorrow morning!!
      How many hours we still have? I need to know, depending on the deadline I’ll be able to maybe code some things during my lunch break. I’m kind confused because there is no time counter for this mini LD…

24. JAH2488 says:

Is the deadline like midnight? Not sure exactly when it is and don’t want to miss it.

25. Christina Nordlander says:

OK, this is weird… I submitted my game (a Twine game titled “Layers”), but it’s not showing up when I click the View link. When I click “View my game”, it shows up just fine.

Anyway, thank you very much for hosting this MiniLD, and I’m really looking forward to playing the entries.

26. nyrrrr says:

We didn’t make it in time… and are far from a playable AND fun version.
    The feature creep ate our game :O

27. somepx says:

nyrrrr – Sorry to hear that

28. Missed the deadline… guess I sleep too much! ;)

Here is a link to the game, anyway… :

29. tommakesgames says:

Is there a link somewhere for us to edit our entry for miniLD? Every time I go to edit at the top it links to my entry for LD28 in December.

30. Patacorow says:

I’m sad my theme ‘Demake’ didn’t make it, a lot of people seem to like it! I hope it gets chosen for the next miniLD.