In general, it’s clear to me that my coding skills have improved since last time. 😀 So now for a breakdown, bullet list style.
What went right
- Make Tetrominoes! was designed with accessibility in mind. Making it vision-impaired friendly wasn’t in the cards for the compo version, but the colorblind and the hearing-impaired can play the game without issue.
- I took a systematic program design MOOC between LDs 27 and 28, and by using the methodology learned in it was able to program efficiently and with a minimum of bugs. It was ridiculous how much stress I eliminated by using systematic program design.
- It uses mouse controls instead of keyboard, and enchant.js treats them as the same thing, so it’s playable on mobile this time. 😀
- In LD 27, I learned that even though pretty code doesn’t matter too much in a game jam, sometimes you do need to refactor so that you have a clue what your code is doing. I remembered that lesson well and refactored at a critical point. I’m sure it saved me lots of heartache
- I wrote the code with future extensions in mind. Not just for adding accessibility, but for things like changing the board size and number of colors of pieces and enabling 5-block tetrominoes as an option.
What went not-so-right
- Although the game was designed with colorblindness in mind, my prototype graphics weren’t colorblind friendly. I was uploading builds for people to dink around with, and it turns out one of my friends is colorblind and couldn’t play until the final version of the game. Oops!
- There was a lot of time spent not coding. I had a Skype call from my best friend shortly after I started coding. This lasted a few hours and did horrible things to my ability to concentrate on code, but he and I are separated by a distance of about a third of the Earth’s circumference, so I am okay with that. It was good to talk to him, but not so good for game progress. And I spent a lot of time cooking. I may have gotten a bit too gung-ho about eating well during Ludum Dare.
- This is kinda a subpoint of point two, there, but I did not get a tutorial in like I wanted to.
- I really like enchant.js, but the fact that having sound files in the game keeps it from even loading in Firefox is a problem. I need to learn a new engine/library before April.
- I’ve refactored and cleaned up the code quite a bit since submitting my game (and fixed a bug), but I still haven’t really documented things. That might come back to bite me in the rear later.