Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

Mailing List Migration

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
December 8th, 2013 8:43 pm

Hey Folks,

To end the spam problem, I’ll be shutting down the current mailing list after this message goes out.

Please move any discussion to here:

Soon after I’ll be setting up a new mailing list and adding everyone. Due to the number of requests, I haven’t unsubscribed anyone. If you wish to unsubscribe, instructions will be made available as the new list goes live.

Until then!

Good night [email protected] It was a good 11 years.

I suppose this was overdue anyway. The mailing list was originally set up to be a common list for some of the older compo/jam events from a decade ago (Ludum Dare, 72HourGDC, PyWeek, etc). Ultimately though, the list was almost always about us.

I still think a mailing list is useful (and of the 3000 members, some of you might too). So I’ll be setting up a dedicated announcement list soon just for us. Only members of the Ludum Dare administration will be able to post.

11 Responses to “Mailing List Migration”

1. Punch says:

What happened, I never received any spam except for today (which wasn’t really annoying), I suspect you had other reasons?

2. yadurajiv says:

The only thing that I was getting was compo updates :| and today’s randomness :P which I guess was fun than annoying :) Maybe you want a newsletter(like mailchimp) and not a mailing list? or maybe the mailing list can be somewhere else like Google Groups(better moderation?)?

3. Merkoth says:

IMHO, people are grossly overreacting. Getting 15 or so posts in a day isn’t spam, ffs. I really don’t see the point, but whatever.

4. PoV says:

I think people just didn’t realize it was a discussion list until today. ;)

Ah well, it was long overdue anyway.

@Merkoth The problem is that we have 3000 members. Hence why I’ve been trying to kept the signal to noise ratio low in recent years. That’s a lot of people to annoy.

5. Merkoth says:

I’ve been subscribed to that list since a very long time, it’s actually the first time in freaking years we have some activity and this is the result? Maybe people shouldn’t subscribe to mailing lists if they don’t want to receive mail?

If we had, I don’t know, penis enlargement spam every day I’d understand it, but it was a couple messages and all related to indie games.

In any case, I really don’t mind either way, the new announcement list is welcome :)

• PoV says:

Yeah. Well the website does a perfectly acceptable job for discussions. Most people joined the mailing list for an announcement list, so I want to make sure they still have that.

6. GetFun says:

Seems like you guys don’t use gmail :-P
    I don’t see spam I see a question and 14reply to it all in one discussion

7. sf17k says:

Why is there so much confusion over this?

Mailing list: Subscribers discuss interesting topics amongst each other.

Newsletter: Subscribers periodically receive announcements from a central location.

Until now, there was zero discussion on the “mailing list” because it was being used as a newsletter. It should never have been a mailing list in the first place!

I don’t mind the spam, but I remember thinking a long time ago how dubious it is that this is a “mailing list” when it’s clearly not intended for discussion. Someone was bound to reply to it eventually. It should’ve been a newsletter, and that’s that.

Don’t migrate to another mailing list system, migrate to a newsletter system. Then nobody gets discussion spam they don’t want. Simple.

8. Muu? says:

I didn’t mind having 15 messages to read this morning, as most of them were one line long.
    The problem was I still use a mail client, and my phone kept ringing from 1:30 AM to 4:40 AM. :(

9. Cy4n1d says:

I’m subscribed to this mailing list for a long time too now and i got no spam. I like this mailing list a lot and can’t understand why you guys are now shutting down this list. For me it sounds like a advanced reason …