Multiple Personality Quest PostMortem and Web Build

Posted by (twitter: @bitgriffin)
August 28th, 2013 3:32 pm

First off, I have a web build up so if you’re not on windows or just don’t feel like downloading anything, go here

Multiple Personality quest is a roguelike where you switch characters every 10 seconds. There are four characters, with different strengths and weaknesses and powers.

 

The Bad

Overambitious Idea

While the game was really fun to make it was a bit too much to squeeze into the compo and almost too much to squeeze into the jam. I didn’t get as many skills for the characters as I’d like, as well as pretty much no time to balance combat.

Game Balance

Game balance is way off. It’s ok at level 1, at level 2 you get a bit powerful, at level 3+ you get way too powerful, especially if you get over level 5 since I MEANT that to be the level cap but forgot to actually cap it (Which is why you see your character have an “Unknown Sword” or some such when you hit level 6+ Oops). It’s actually possible to finish the game at level 8 and the boss is fairly trivial by then.

This also takes away some of the differentiation of the characters. Who cares if Geoff is a kickass healer if you never need to heal? Who cares if Chloe can root if you one-shot everthing?, Who cares if Dirk has really good armor if nobody else ever gets hit anyway? Who cares if Gloria can teleport if she can one shot everything twice over. (Well I guess you care if it gets you around the dungeon faster :p)

 

The Good

Gameplay

While the balance is way out of whack past level 1, I think the gameplay idea is pretty solid and with some tweaks could become a pretty fun game.

JSIL

I’ve used JSIL for my javascript ports for the last 3 LDs and each time I use it it seems better and better. Porting this time around went really smoothly.

The Jam

I like how the Jam can be a good fallback if you have too much idea and not enough time for the compo. At the end of the compo period, what I had wasn’t really a playable representation of what I wanted, but I had the extra day to get it working and that made all the difference.

Saving Graphics for Last

Since I had to strip out so many features to fit my coding into the allotted time, this resulted on more code time and no wasted graphics work, since when I started on graphics I knew exactly what I needed and no more than that. If I had done graphics first I probably would have a bunch of dungeon, armor and potion graphics I didn’t use.

If this game sounds interesting to you. Go here and play it.

 

Tags:


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

[cache: storing page]