Poll: Text Adventures

Posted by
August 23rd, 2013 4:28 am

We’re almost at the dawn of another Ludum Dare! As a result I have question:

Does anyone like text adventures?

Example

Text Adventures?

Because I do, and I’m planning to write one for LD27.

I want to know if:

1. you’ll be prepared to play it
  2. you think it is possible to write an interesting text adventure (in two days)
  3. you think text adventures are still a viable genre

Answers in the comments please!

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Poll: Text Adventures”

1. kraj0t says:

If the theme is catchy enough, and I can make it through the first 30 seconds without yawning, then for sure it’s a viable genre!

I’ve found that music helps for this kind of games. A deep, environmental music really puts you in the mood right away. This way, the player can get instantly motivated despite the (let’s face it) unappealing first impression of a text game 😉

2. Pierrec says:

I like text adventures but I prefer when there are few visuals in it

3. RedSounding says:

Yeah! Do it! I love text adventures. It’s like, um, reading a good book and playing a game at the same time!

4. cubedparadox says:

Yes, I would totally play your text adventure!

5. sorceress says:

Beware the tl;dr issue.

While many do enjoy reading novels and stories on paper, on the internet in particular people don’t always feel they have time/patience for it. There is so much text on the internet to digest nowadays, that people tend to skim read their way through it more now than they did in the 20th century.

It would be interesting to see if the text adventure genre can be revived by adapting it to the modern audience, by helping the reader to extract all relevant information at a glance.

• rxi says:

I have to disagree somewhat. I think the context of what you’re reading can make a difference. For example, I’ll often find myself skipping long articles that have been linked from reddit, or when reading a magazine article I’ll give up when it goes over a few paragraphs, but I often read books in my spare time, have played MUDs and happily sit through any text adventure Ludum Dare throws at me!

Though this won’t apply to everyone, I don’t think people consider this when they think of people tl;dr-ing comments on the internet. When I sit down to play a text adventure or any dialogue-heavy game, assuming I’m aware of the genre before hand, I’ve already prepped myself to do a lot of reading, I’ve made sure I have a nice chunk of time ahead of me and can devote my attention to the game completely.

I played a text adventure a few Ludum Dares ago, I can’t recall what it was called but it was set in space. It felt like it had a ton of depth to it, more depth than any other game I played that Ludum Dare, and I found myself returning to it even after getting stuck in some places, it was easily one of my favorite entries that Ludum Dare.

That being said, your idea of a “at a glance” text adventure sounds interesting, and it would be even more interesting to see it in practice. Maybe taking on the writing style of Palahniuk, raw and direct, and highlight keywords in different colors.

6. robolee says:

Honestly no. I feel like the comments are going to be biased towards people that would be inclined to say yes.

My problem with text adventures is that a specific answer is being looked for (or a few if you’re clever enough to provide answer redundancy) and I find that annoying when clearly there are near limitless things you can type and even most plausible things are not programmed in… because implementing everything would need some super AI or an impossible amount of scenarios coded in. Basically the equivalent of adventure game pixel hunting except on a much vaster scale. But then you also have the adventure game “try every single item on every possible thing, including other items” problem, what’s worse is when it can only be done in a specific place, and very often (like every text adventure/adventure game I’ve played) at least one combination turns out to be something extremely obscure. Now the problem is is that these things are pretty much the entire challenge in these games, basically challenging through obscurity. And that’s my personal opinion on text adventures and adventure games (although I do actually like some of them… even if they still have those moments where I’m wondering back and forth trying everything which I have never liked).

Another reason I say no is that text adventures are really easy to make, like programming 101 console input/output, all you have to focus on is the story really.

However all that said and done just do what you want to do and don’t worry about what others like or want. These are clearly my own opinions and others will vehemently disagree and maybe even call me an idiot or tell me that I’m closed minded or whatever. But you asked for opinions and I think hearing from both sides is useful.

7. Reicher says:

I think you need to be…..creative to be able to make a good game on themes like “10 seconds”.

8. Johnman says:

I love text adventures. No images, music or anything required, only an engaging, well-written story. I think it’s one of the most difficult things to get right, but I totally look forward to playing your game!

9. Blooperly says:

Haha my first LD was a text adventure with an attempt at graphics! I failed because of poor time management, but it would be awesome if you did it! As always I suggest Inform for text adventure coding. It’s freaking brilliant: http://inform7.com/

10. RandomM00 says:

Some interesting responses, thank you.
    I’ll see what I can do…

I’d better post my “I’m in”!