Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

Mini Ludum Dare #42 Announcement

Posted by (twitter: @legacycrono)
May 18th, 2013 9:30 pm

MiniLD42

[ View Entries ]

This month’s Mini Ludum Dare is a special one: it’s the Mini LD #42, and it’s also being held on the weekend of May 25th (Towel Day). Thus, we’re celebrating with a tribute to Douglas Adams!

The theme for this month is “Earth will be Destroyed“. I believe there might be people unfamiliar to the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, so I decided for a more broad theme. In any case, you’re encouraged to create something inspired by Douglas Adams’ work (or don’t, feel free to do whatever you want =P). As usual, everything goes!

The de facto period for the jam is May 24-26 12:00 AM UTC, but you can start before if you want to, and submissions will be open until the end of the month, in case you need some extra time.

DON’T PANIC!

49 Responses to “Mini Ludum Dare #42 Announcement”

1. Jacic says:

I am so in. I feel somewhat sorry for those who have not experienced The Guide. Those who do not know the wonder, the amusement it brings.

Still, us hoopy froods can make games to share this special experience!

2. Roan Contreras says:

Count me in :)

3. mrexcessive says:

Am starting now, hmmm… I just have to find my complimentary pack of lemon-soaked paper napkins, will start just as soon as I find them.

4. IndieRetro says:

Ooh, cool theme, I am in! :D

5. limbster says:

WOW! Definatelly gonna do an animation with this theme! seems like a super cool idea!

6. PoV says:

FYI I slightly reworded the post. I don’t want to get us in trouble with the estate of Douglas Adams, so we can’t say “use his work”. Inspired by his work should be fine though.

7. monosacharride says:

bypass building simulator all the way

8. coppyhop says:

He He He….
    My Idea WILL BE EPIC!!!!!!

9. KevinWorkman says:

Great idea. Combine this with this week’s fishing game jam (http://jam.legendaryfisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1) and you’ve got a perfect excuse to make a game called So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

10. Henry McLaughlin says:

I’m not sure how I feel about the theme, since I really don’t have any good ideas for it.
    I will maybe, probably, um… well, okay. I’ll try again. I will.
    You can expect something that has little to nothing to do with the theme, but LegacyCrono said to feel free to do whatever we want, so I’LL DO WHATEVER I WANT!!
    Yeah…
    I think that will be a good excuse to take a break from my current project, which has stalled.

11. 7Soul says:

Damn took me a day to notice the number 42 joke

12. tudd says:

I’m in

best minild *ever*

And a once in a lifetime opportunity!

13. Christina Nordlander says:

@7Soul: if it makes you feel better, it took me a good while as well.

Dammit, I don’t have time for this amid all my other projects… but right now, an idea is knocking pretty hard. It’s even a comedy, though it has more in common with The Venture Brothers than Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

14. LaceySnr says:

Loving the relaxed critera… startted modelling something in Blender yesterday and have a few ideas brewing for the weekend!

15. Xgor says:

I’d make sure to have a whale in my game.

16. Holofire says:

I think ill participate in this. I already have a brief idea on what I want to do :D

17. killerstarbunny says:

Can I do this with a team?

18. Gravity Games says:

Welp, looks like I’ll be making one game for both this and One Game Crunch. I’ll have to think about ideas…

19. bechsen says:

Totally in!! i love the books :D

20. zakchaos says:

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
    -Douglas Adams

21. rockthegames says:

That’s the best theme i have ever heard. I’m In.

22. hilaia says:

I have a huge idea but tomorrow is my birthday and my exams are in a week so…
    FOCK IT I’ll try!

23. TheColorMan says:

I’ll try it! I’l try not to have the worst controls in the northern galaxy when I make it this time :3. I’m going to try HTML5 and Javascript this time around.

24. mattw says:

After a disappointing attempt at LD 26, I’m hoping I can do better this time around. Time to get started.

25. jacklehamster says:

Get ready for a big turd!
    I wasn’t sure to do this MiniLD, but I’ll give it a try. I plan to contribute to this LD by making a horrible game, so that people who don’t do so well can feel better than there are some entries below them ;-P
    Don’t get me wrong, I won’t do bad on purpose, but let’s face the fact:
    #1- I’m juggling many projects at the same time (Fishing Jam, + 4 other game projects), so I can spend at most one night on this.
    #2- I’m not familiar with Douglas Adams
    #3 – I didn’t read the guide
    #4- I watched that movie with Zooey Deschanel, and I didn’t get it at all. I mean, I understood the plot, but I didn’t get the humour at all. Sorry ;-/
    #5- Regardless of all of this, I’ll make something related to Hitchhiker’s guide to Galaxy, rather than just “Earth will be destroyed”, because I’m curious to see what game can result, from the perspective of someone who didn’t get anything about the theme. ;-P

26. ChrisGaudino says:

I’ll be collaborating with a new partner for this one. Unfortunately, neither he nor I are familiar with the Guide, so we’re going to have to settle for the broader theme.

27. xtronator says:

I love the theme! Working hard in a game right now ;)

28. Martoon says:

“Earth will be Destroyed“. Hmm. I’m thinking of doing something with the Google Maps API.

29. LittlePixxels says:

I’m awake, I’m awake!

Just going to have some breakfast then me and my husband are in for the next 48 hours, competing against each other to get separate games done, EEEP!

Good luck, hoopy froods <3

30. GaTechGrad says:

I started on my entry tonight. It doesn’t sound like this is bound to the 48 hour rule of the regular LD, so I’ll probably use the extra time to polish it a bit. I’m really liking my concept so far, which I don’t believe has been done before and fits the theme well. I don’t know anything about copyright law in Adams’ home country of the UK, but here in the US copyrights are good for 70 years after the author’s death, so I’m not referencing HHGttG too much in my game to avoid any possible issues. However, I’m sure I’ll throw in a easter egg or two.

31. Vhillain says:

The human brain is bizarre in how it works.

I start out making one thing and end up with something completely different.

God, I am really starting to love this Compo-thing.

32. Oh no, it’s not going too well here, but the compo is open till friday, right??? :) I just poured some beer on my keyboard, have to stop for now …

33. jacklehamster says:

Ok, so my entry is about “Hitchhiker’s Guide”, but has nothing to do with “Earth will be destroyed”.
    Please go easy on it!

34. Alright, so the keys still work, I guess I’ll upload something tomorrow… or the day after… I’ll have something to upload by the end of the week at least, i promise… well, i think I will… anyway… who cares ?!? Pffffffft !!! :)

35. EatenAlive3 says:

Hehe that was fun! Awesome theme, I’ve been wanting to do a space themed game for a while now.

36. devi ever says:

My first LD and my first full length game! This was great fun! :D

37. So I guess we can start playing the games now… everybody aboard ?!?

38. tnerb says:

Woot Woot got mine in at the last minute, time to check out all these great entries!

39. Phew! Submitted game in time! I had a flash of inspiration on Sunday at 6pm, so I just had to work on the code whenever I had a spare moment during the week. It’s worked out OK, although a brief play-testing session at the office yesterday lunchtime did reveal a few problems (hopefully solved) and led to a number of ideas for improvements.

40. I just got some ideas for last minute improvements… lets See what I can still sneak in !!! :)